• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing doctors?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bubbly602

What is the name of your state? Colorado

As I read through the posts, I keep thinking of more questions. My ex is supposed to provide med. insurance for our daughter per the CS order. Can I change her doctor, even though he pays the insurance? He says if I change her doctor, he'll cancel her insurance. Also, is there any way(besides going through CSE) to get him to give me her medical cards? He changed her insurance on Dec 1, 2002, I did not receive the cards until Mar 27, 2003. He has told me that he plans on going back to the previous insurance provider, and I'm afraid the same thing will happen again. Thanks for reading this, and thanks in advance for any ideas or advice!:)

dakoto70

Insurance Cards

If he is supposed to supply the medical insurance than he is also supposed to give you a medical card. If you go to a dr that is in his plan, he can not stop you, you can also go t o a dr out side of the network but you would probably be liable for the cost. I don't know how to make him give you the cards when he gets them except by taking him to court.

bubbly602

Thanks for the reply...That's what I thought...so if he cancels it because I change doctors, I can take him to court? And possibly get it ordered that he has to pay all medical costs for the period that she's uninsured?

dakoto70

Yes. If he is court ordered to pay it he can't stop it just because you change dr's. Just make sure it is in network.

Your ex sounds like a d*ck.

Tell him that he needs to give you the insurance card, or he will be liable for ALL medical bills your daughter incurs.

Tell him he cannot cancel the insurance coverage for your daughter, or you will be very happy to take him to court for contempt of the court order. And do it.

bubbly602

Your ex sounds like a d*ck.
holly golightly, you have no idea...he is most definitely a pain in the ... I could go on and on...btw, it's ordered in the CS order that he is to provide me with medical cards w/in 30 days of any changes to her insurance. He said he didn't want to do it because then I'd have his social. thanks for the advice! :)

dakoto70

Thats fine

Just tell him politely that the next time he wants to play games like this you will have to go back to court so the judge can tell him to hand over the card. I am sure he doesn't want to go to court over something this trivial.

bubbly602

venting

okay, I need to vent a little bit...I'll understand if the thread gets deleted.:D

My daughter's father is the kind of man who will go out and spend $350.00 on a leather executive computer chair, but refused to buy our daughter a crib or bed for his residence, forcing her to sleep on the floor for 6 months.
And this one just really irks me...In July, his boss "forgot" to send the child support check the same week that my ex dished out a whole bunch of money to go to a metallica concert in Denver. Pretty convenient, huh?
He has her hair cut without even calling and letting me know, much less asking me(after I specifically told him I wanted to grow her hair out)
He's very controlling, and it's a darn hard job raising a 2 year old when he's doing everything he can come up with to contradict the things I'm trying to teach her.

Okay, done venting now(I could go on, but I really don't want to get banned)

Everyone have a good day!
Melissa

VeronicaGia

Addressing the hair cut issue only, he has the right to get the childs hair cut. Just like you have that right. You can't control everything; pick your battles.

bubbly602

hair cut

I can see what you're saying VeronicaGia, but this isn't the first time it's happened, and after the first time it did happen, we agreed that neither of us would make changes to our daughters physical appearance without the consent of the other parent. Aside from that, he didn't have it done professionally, his Mom did it... it looked horrible, so I had to shell out $10 to have it fixed
And I'm not even going to go into the fact that he allowed a convicted child abuser near our daughter's head with a sharp object.

Last edited:
M

MAMcCandless

Re the Medical issues I agree with the others, if he is legally responsible to provide medical and he wilfully cancels it or refuses then he is in contempt, Medical is a crucial part of support and it not taken lightly, don't threaten, do. No warning, if he refuses or cancels (wilfully) go with contempt, there will be a fine for him doing it and he'll have to pay your costs and provide the medical.

Haircuts? Really? Let it go... Medical is worth a fight, a haircut is not... our BM (we have custody) often cuts SS's hair appallingly and both he and we know why, that's all that matters. To react sometimes provokes more conflict, fix it as best you can and it'll grow back.

bubbly602

I can see your point. It's more the combination of everything that is done by him. He actually called DHS on me for using regular diapers instead of Pull-Ups, since he decided it was time for potty training. But you're right. My being petty only encourages him to continue to do these things. Thanks for the insight!:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">