• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Abandonment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mario1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA
My son's mother has "custody" of him, but for the past year she moved in with her boyfriend and left him with her parents, along with her daughter from another person. My son has now been living with me for about 7 months, and his mom only comes around once in a while to take him somewere. My question is since she abandoned my son to her parents and now to me, can she come back in the future and take him away? He is now 7 years old.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Until you have a court order that transfers custody to you, the one giving it to her remains valid.

(edit) And, of course, you realize that if there was an order that you were to be paying support - you still have to do that until it's changed, right?

Mario1

Abandoment

Is there a period of time in which "legally" that is abandonment? To were she forfiets full custody.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You'd have to look at the CA statutes. And as long as she sees him "once in a while" - that counts for contact in many states. Why don't you just file for a change of custody?

VeronicaGia

Have the children moved to your school district now that they live with you? What other evidence do you have to prove that the kids have lived with you for six months?

Gather all your evidence and file for a modification of custody right away! Until you do, she can come and take the kids back and you can't do a darned thing about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">