• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child abandonment??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proserpina

so basically it's her fault that dad has minimum contact with child. why is it that the cp always have to HATE the ncp everytime the ncp decide to "Act up"...she shouldn't have to chase the DAD down to have contact with child. and how does a three year old have a strong bond with a man that has minimum contact with them? It's always the cp's fault as to why DADS do what they do:rolleyes:
Please re-read the original posts again.

That is NOT what was said. And if you must get on your soapbox, please do it elsewhere.

sometwo

months is a huge deal without calling considering he has both of my numbers lives 15 minutes away and is barely working. It has been since the end of August since he has seen him. He has only called twice since August
Two months won't be a big deal in the courts eyes. In fact the lowest amount of time I've seen in even being able to file abandonment is 4 months and that's my state NOT your state and I believe mine is the only one like that.

Also abandonment usually consist of no contact and /or support. He is paying support. Maybe not what you think or maybe not what he's supposed to but he is paying some and he is keeping contact some. You cannot just take his rights away and you don't seem to have a case for abandonment.

LdiJ

I don't know specifically what the abandonment statutes are for your state, but in most states it takes a minimum of a year with no contact at all, and no child support, for an abandonment statute to kick in.

Even then, in order to terminate a parent's rights you would need to be married for at least a year, and your husband would have to be willing to adopt the child and take over the legal responsibilities.

I think what you really want is sole legal custody, so that you can make decisions without dad's imput.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I don't know specifically what the abandonment statutes are for your state, but in most states it takes a minimum of a year with no contact at all, and no child support, for an abandonment statute to kick in.

Even then, in order to terminate a parent's rights you would need to be married for at least a year, and your husband would have to be willing to adopt the child and take over the legal responsibilities.

I think what you really want is sole legal custody, so that you can make decisions without dad's imput.
In Ohio it can be 90 days. Depending on the surrounding circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">