• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child custod

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dells1972

my ex girlfriend took our six year old daughter out of state from ohio to iowa about 3 years ago and i have not seen my daughter since, i have not been able to find her, i do know she has married.what can i do to try and get visitation rights to see my daughter? we have never been to court,i dont pay child support since i wouldnt know where to send it to.i also have a problem with her birth certicicate my name is not on it.can her and her new husband adopt my daughter since my name was not on the birth certificate?her new husband is a lawer so i am sure he knows child custody laws.help,is there anything i can do?can her last name be changed to her mothers new name?

M

meleahk1

was paternity ever established? this would help knowing.

and do you know she remarried? and that her husband is a lawyer?

if you are the father then the name can not be changed without your permission and you would have to give up all your rights to the child. you also need to keep in mind that you will be held responsible for any child support due from birth until present time.

there are things you can do, but if you could answer the top questions it would be most helpful

thanks
;)

D

dells1972

i dont want to sound like a idiot but i am not sure if paternity was established.everything was fine one day we was split up but i was seeing my daughter on a regular basis then one day they were gone.i found out through a friend she got married but she wouldnt tell me where they lived.we never went to court or anything.my daughter did have my last name but i dont know if that has changed.

M

meleahk1

if the child is yours you do have rights to the child.

you need to see if you can get her social pulled and see where her last known address is at or where she may work at.

if you can figure out how to do this, then you can petition the courts for visitation and custody. but like i said you will have to start paying child support and probably back child support as well.
and you may as well put your self in position for a fight if her new hubby is a lawyer. but don't let that discourage you, you do have rights and you should fight for those rights.

she cannot have that childs named changed to her new husbands if the child is yours without your signing the child over for adoption to the new husband. if she has then thats a whole new ball game and someone may be in big trouble.

good luck.
:rolleyes:

D

dells1972

would the courts have to pull her social?also she is six so i cant check on jobs.if my name was not on her birth certificate would it be considered that the father was unknown since we have never went to court to establish paternity?and by her having my last name would that account for anything in establishing paternity?would i start by goin to the courthouse in my state or in her state?without an address how can i get court papers to her?would she have to come here for court or would i have to go there?i would still have to pay back child support even though she took her out of state and away from me?thanks for your help.

M

meleahk1

i'm sorry i didn't mean your daughters social i meant her mothers.

if she has your last name, why is it not on the bc?

you have to find her first the x that is, then you will know which state to go to. generally where the child is living is the court house you use.

if you know the x's ss number try this place online, it will cost you 26.00 dollars but they are legit i have used them several times.
oops they went up to 35.00 but i paid 26.00, you will also have to know the last known address and her date of birth, the x that is, not the daughter. and it's legal.(the only other option i can think of, is if you have a connection with the police force in your area, they might can help you using the same information)

www.yourownprivateeye.com

you would have a response in 24 hours.

once you find her, file for custody, visitation and child support. now you most likely wont get custody, but then again maybe so, however, yes you will have to pay back child support if you bring up this issue is a court of law.

good luck;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">