• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH
My friend has a daughter who is 4 years old. The father is not paying child support but giving her a hard time that he wants to see her this weekend where he lets her be outside without an adult and other questionable things. Nothing abusive more neglectful. My friend was told that she does not have sole custody of her child. Is this true and how would she go about that since in the last 6 months the father has only averaged $13 a week for child support, never answers or returns her phone calls, and pretty much never calls to ask to see her?
First, support is not the admission ticket to see a child. Second, since you don't have all of the information regarding this, it would be hard to give a complete and accurate answer. Have your friend come and ask the questions...
Information you're not likely to know:

1) has 'dad' been adjudicated as such?
2) were they married?
3) how does your 'friend' know that daughter is unattended?
4) is there a visitation order?

See? :rolleyes:

CJane

The best thing your friend could do is post here herself. She's going to have far more knowledge of what's happening, the history, etc than you are.

But in general? My 4 year old occasionally plays outside with no one but the dog to supervise him while I get stuff done inside or in another part of the yard.

LdiJ

The best thing your friend could do is post here herself. She's going to have far more knowledge of what's happening, the history, etc than you are.

But in general? My 4 year old occasionally plays outside with no one but the dog to supervise him while I get stuff done inside or in another part of the yard.
We allow my 4 year old granddaughter to play outside with the next door neighbor's 5 and 9 year olds occasionally without adult supervision. We feel that the particular 9 year old is responsible enough to keep an eye on her.

kdube1977

answers to you questions

Should I Ask: The father was there at child birth is on the birth certificate. They were never married. Her daughter has told her on two separate occasions that there is no adult just her and her 10 year old sister. And no there is no visitation order.

CJane: I would never let my 4 year old walk to a store down the street with a 10 year old. Sorry guess Im a little over-protective in this world. A dog in the yard with him maybe but not if I were in a bad section of town. And she is always calling me for advice so I do know most of the situation. My friend is scared to do anything with the law ie child support hearings etc. that dad will try to get custody cause he has more money than her. She would never post something for advice.

Just so you guys are aware we have been friends for 25 years so we know quite a bit about each others personal lives.

CourtClerk

I'm sorry, but my absolutely BEST FRIEND IN THIS WHOLE WORLD has known me for 25 years and she will tell you herself, while she knows a lot, she doesn't know EVERYTHING.

My parents have known me all my life and don't know everything. Therefore, knowing her for infinity knows nothing.

If she asks you for advice, give her the website address or advise her to seek out the advice of someone who is knowledgable in the field.

If he averages $13/wk in CS, without a court order, he's paying $13/wk more than he has to. I

I used to let my 4 year old out all the time by himself. I've let my 4 year old to go the park with him 11 year old cousin all the time. You don't get a say in what's right or not with HIS child.

emmagirl

I completely understand not wanting a child (especially a 4 year old) outside alone or just with other children or a dog. Although if in a fenced in yard or being watched form another area of the yard, that should be ok.

In the world we live in there is nothing wrong with being protective. There are too many sick people who would take a child that is unsupervised or careless drivers that wouldnt watch for a child wandering in the road.

Who told your friend she didnt have sole custody? The custody thing would be determined by the courts.

In her situation it would be hard to say what can be done if there is no court order saying who can have the child and when.

kdube1977

Im so sorry, I dont recall saying I know everything about my friend's situation i believe I said something to the effect we know quite a bit about each other. And I also dont think I asked anything about the amount of CS paid v. if that is a correct amount. I think what I originally asked was if she is considered to have sole custody. It doesn't matter what I think about the daughter going on her own It's how her mother feels and she can't stand it and has expressed this to him. I have told her to get legal advice but you must have missed that part of she is scared to take any legal action. Thank you emmagirl.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

oooooooooooooo
too bad erasing or replacing your questions with ooooooooo doesn't matter because you've been quoted PRIOR to your editing. :rolleyes:

YOU brought up the child support. YOU brought up the 'neglectful' nature of the child being left outside without supervision. YOU asked the questions. WE advised that SHE should come ask her own questions because court order details are NEEDED in order for anyone to answer ANY questions with any accuracy.

Oh BTW.... I don't know what you're thanking emmagirl for, her answer wasn't accurate by the information YOU'VE provided.:rolleyes:

ecmst12

If she's scared to go to court then she will get nothing established legally. She needs to get over that fear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">