• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Custody in case of death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbfan4life

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

I am leaving for a vacation tomorrow and leaving my daughter to stay with my parents. I have full custody of her and would like my parents to have custody should anything happen to me while I'm gone. Is there a form I need to fill out and sign in order for this to happen? or do I just need to type something up just in case?

Ronin

If there is a non-custodial parent in the picture, and this parent has not been deemed unfit, then it is not your call to decide in advance that anyone other than this parent will have custody of your daughter in the event of your death.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Granted, whilst one cannot will children to one person or another like prized china, one can express a preference as to placement of said children. It would be up to a judge to make the final decision.

nextwife

Any "stand-by guardianship" would result in a short term placement if there is a father who wishes custody and has not been proven unfit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">