• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child custody due to affair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Anastasia

My husband and I separated 9 months ago...I got involved in a relationship during that time and became pregnant.
My husband and I, despite that the relationship im in now is a good one, are working towards reconciliation...
my question is this

The father of the yet unborn has said to me that after the baby is born and I raise it for a little while, he wants custody.
Im not willing to do this...he is an exec chef at a very busy restauraunt and works many many hours...he has a daughter that he is unable to get custody of, he has a small criminal history and is on probation for losing his temper with his daughters mother,He spent a few nights in jail for it.His financial situation is decent as far as how much money he makes...but he has a terrible credit history because he doesnt pay his bills.
I want to know what the chances are of him gaining custody of the child that will be raised by me, with a mom and dad and a sister in an established home?

LegalBeagle

Anastasia said:
My husband and I separated 9 months ago...I got involved in a relationship during that time and became pregnant.
My husband and I, despite that the relationship im in now is a good one, are working towards reconciliation...
my question is this

The father of the yet unborn has said to me that after the baby is born and I raise it for a little while, he wants custody.
Im not willing to do this...he is an exec chef at a very busy restauraunt and works many many hours...he has a daughter that he is unable to get custody of, he has a small criminal history and is on probation for losing his temper with his daughters mother,He spent a few nights in jail for it.His financial situation is decent as far as how much money he makes...but he has a terrible credit history because he doesnt pay his bills.
I want to know what the chances are of him gaining custody of the child that will be raised by me, with a mom and dad and a sister in an established home?
Nil

L

LadyBlu

Anastasia said:
my question is this

Not likely he will get custody unless he can prove you unfit, but.. paternity will need to be established eventually. Meaning, your lover can petition the courts for paternity to establish his parental rights. So you need to beat him to the punch. Even though a child born of a marriage is *presumed* to be that of the husband it can be disputed if he(lover) wishes.

If you can give me your state name I can look up the state statutes regarding paternity for you so you can look through them to decide how you want to handle the situation.

A

Anastasia

and I was going to ask what you meant by paternity...?
im pretty naive when it comes to all of this..

thank you

A

Anastasia

one other thing that I want to make clear...that im not sure was...
I know who the father is, and my husband knows...
the father is the man i was involved with during my husband and I separation..

anyways, I hope im doing this right?

thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">