• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child custody/grandma holding child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbrown200047501

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am writing for a friend.She is 19 with 2 children,she got married to the father of her children last week and moved in with him last night.She had previously given part-custody of her oldest daughter to her mother so her daughter could get treatment if something where to happen while she was an hr away 4hrs a day at college,the court order states tha it is for "medical treatment for child X while mother is absent at college due to extensive medical needs of the child".THe mother is no longer in college.She was allowed to take nothing but the clothes on her and the baby's back,not even formula or her purse.

Now when the mother of these children moved in with her husband last night her mother refused to let her take the oldest and the cops refused to make the grandmother give her up saying it was a civil dispute.The children father are not yet on the BC's.

What can she do to get her kid back?
Is there anything she can file with the court without an atty?

She just injured her knee(ripped the muscles) and will be off work with out pay for awhile so they are making due on one paycheck right now.Her children are 3 and 5months, she was allowed to take the 5 month old.

TIA

We need to know what these custody papers say. Not sure what "part custody" is. Are they guardianship papers? Are they temp custody papers? Did Mom retain any type of custody on paper?

sbrown200047501

It says the grandmother is to have partial custody while the mother attend college due to the childs extensive medical needs when the mother is absent.I also had never heard of partial custody before.This is the only custody papers the mother has,her atty she had when she signed the papers said they would be "void" once she was no longer in college and only be in effect in her absence while in college.

BUT the police are refusing to bring the girl home saying it is a civil matter.

The police have never seen these papers and the grandmother has all my friends ID and paperwork.They are going soley on the grandmas word.My friend cant even get a copy at the court house cause she has no ID and her former atty said it has been so long she needs to see ID to give my friend a copy.THe court orders are atleast 2yrs old,they were done when this child was an infant and her mom was 16-17.The grandma let me read them about a month ago.

Thanks Again

BelizeBreeze

sbrown200047501 said:
It says the grandmother is to have partial custody while the mother attend college due to the childs extensive medical needs when the mother is absent.I also had never heard of partial custody before.This is the only custody papers the mother has,her atty she had when she signed the papers said they would be "void" once she was no longer in college and only be in effect in her absence while in college.

BUT the police are refusing to bring the girl home saying it is a civil matter.

The police have never seen these papers and the grandmother has all my friends ID and paperwork.They are going soley on the grandmas word.My friend cant even get a copy at the court house cause she has no ID and her former atty said it has been so long she needs to see ID to give my friend a copy.THe court orders are atleast 2yrs old,they were done when this child was an infant and her mom was 16-17.The grandma let me read them about a month ago.

Thanks Again
Then tell your 'friend' she needs to go get a new ID...pretty simple huh?

sbrown200047501

actually no it is not that simple considering to get an id she must have a bc and ss card which her mom wont give her and to get a ss card she needs her bc,to get her bc she needs an ID or ss card.

The "new" papers her mother have are dated 2003 a few days after the partial custody ones.They state JOINT custody to help with the care of child while mother attends college.

What can she do to get full custody,what form does she need to file?Modification of child custody?Also can she file for emergency custody herself?The cops won't go get the lil girl till the mother gets emergency or full custody.

the grandmother's house is beyond filthy and the lil girl has not been to school since last wk and the grandmother refuses to let her go back.The child is in a special school due to her learning disabilities and speech disabilities.She functions at about a 18month old level so she NEEDS to go.

Thanks Again

casa

sbrown200047501 said:
actually no it is not that simple considering to get an id she must have a bc and ss card which her mom wont give her and to get a ss card she needs her bc,to get her bc she needs an ID or ss card.

The "new" papers her mother have are dated 2003 a few days after the partial custody ones.They state JOINT custody to help with the care of child while mother attends college.

What can she do to get full custody,what form does she need to file?Modification of child custody?Also can she file for emergency custody herself?The cops won't go get the lil girl till the mother gets emergency or full custody.

the grandmother's house is beyond filthy and the lil girl has not been to school since last wk and the grandmother refuses to let her go back.The child is in a special school due to her learning disabilities and speech disabilities.She functions at about a 18month old level so she NEEDS to go.

Thanks Again
She can contact the police to ask if they'll do a civil assist- Show up to the residence with her to get her personal belongings and paperwork. They may or may not do it (depends on the officer) and she may have to file a report for theft of personal property or failure to release personal property (ID, SScard, BC etc.) That might work. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">