• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child custody and mental illness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cane86

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My wife who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and has been off of medication for 7 months is in the process of filing for divorce. Her mental illness is well documented and it includes 4 suicide attempts and numerous hospital stays in the last 11 years. She has also had difficulty working due to her illness.

If she truly wants a divorce (it could be due to her mental state as a result of not taking her medications), I will want full custody of my two kids (9 and 11). Based on her history of mental illness, her numerous suicide attempts and her currently not taking her medications, do I have a strong case for full custody as long as she is not taking her medications as required?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">