• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child custody modification examples

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

olhobbes

if the other parent is listed as the primary custodial parent, the child will remain in the same district. you wanting the child to move to your school district and can be done while still maintaining residence with the other parent via a district transfer AND the other parent's consent....you won't need a court order for that. you can stipulate though. that would be awesome.

now, if you are trying to fight to move the child to YOUR district and gain primary custody that way? i still want your courtroom number and will bring beer too.
Actually, neither parent is listed as primary, although our daughter does spend more time with me than her mother.

Btw; I honestly appreciate any and all criticism, so keep it coming.

Isis1

Actually, neither parent is listed as primary, although our daughter does spend more time with me than her mother.

Btw; I honestly appreciate any and all criticism, so keep it coming.
per the court order... who has the majority of the time with the child? whose school district does the child go to?

Isis1

so to punish mom for allowing you more time with your mutual child.....you want to get primary custody?

wow. ok.

instead of ....hey, what school is perfectly between us so we can BOTH be equally available.

dude. you are at a fork in the road to be a dick or a father right now. this? what you are trying to do, is going to mess that up for your child. stop trying to one up the other parent. just stop before it's too late. you have mom willing to work with you. stop trying to figure out how to take advantage of that. once you try that...there is no going back.

LdiJ

so to punish mom for allowing you more time with your mutual child.....you want to get primary custody?

wow. ok.

instead of ....hey, what school is perfectly between us so we can BOTH be equally available.

dude. you are at a fork in the road to be a dick or a father right now. this? what you are trying to do, is going to mess that up for your child. stop trying to one up the other parent. just stop before it's too late. you have mom willing to work with you. stop trying to figure out how to take advantage of that. once you try that...there is no going back.
I agree with Isis. Every thread you have had on this forum for the last couple of years has been about finding a "significant change in circumstance" so that you can take primary custody...and you have yet to come up with one. This thread is no different.

Yes, your child won't be able to attend the school she is in once she ages out. That would be grounds to take mom back to court if you and mom do not agree about what school she is to attend going forward (although odds are, you would lose and mom would get to keep the child in the same school district she is in now). However, that is NOT grounds for a change in custody. Its just not. Stop grasping at straws.

olhobbes

I agree with Isis. Every thread you have had on this forum for the last couple of years has been about finding a "significant change in circumstance" so that you can take primary custody...and you have yet to come up with one. This thread is no different.

Yes, your child won't be able to attend the school she is in once she ages out. That would be grounds to take mom back to court if you and mom do not agree about what school she is to attend going forward (although odds are, you would lose and mom would get to keep the child in the same school district she is in now). However, that is NOT grounds for a change in custody. Its just not. Stop grasping at straws.
Actually, all I'm pursuing is the change in schools. I didn't say anything about changing custody.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually, all I'm pursuing is the change in schools. I didn't say anything about changing custody.
The title of your thread is: Child custody modification examples. The implication is that you desire to modify CUSTODY. It's unfortunate that you weren't clear about your intent earlier.

olhobbes

The title of your thread is: Child custody modification examples. The implication is that you desire to modify CUSTODY. It's unfortunate that you weren't clear about your intent earlier.
I apologize; I assumed anything which modifies the CO counts as "custody". My mistake, and why I appreciate all the feed back I get.

mmmagique

Ok. I'm just going to say it again. You DID know that this would get this reaction, that's why you tried to avoid it. Quit playing.

I would speak to an attorney if I were you, before I spent all this time and energy trying to push this through.

I don't know if you stand a chance, but you should find out before you do this.

olhobbes

Ok. I'm just going to say it again. You DID know that this would get this reaction, that's why you tried to avoid it. Quit playing.

I would speak to an attorney if I were you, before I spent all this time and energy trying to push this through.

I don't know if you stand a chance, but you should find out before you do this.
I don't *mind* the reaction, but I wanted to get the information I was seeking first.

More data is always better than less. Helps me do my job as a parent better.

mmmagique

I'm sorry, I don't dislike you. I actually think you're rather charming.

But doing your job as a parent better? How in the holy heck does getting this advice help you do your job as a parent better?

You really need to speak with an attorney.

olhobbes

I'm sorry, I don't dislike you. I actually think you're rather charming.

But doing your job as a parent better? How in the holy heck does getting this advice help you do your job as a parent better?

You really need to speak with an attorney.
My job is to provide the best environment I can for my daughter. I learned, the hard way, that being ignorant of my rights and how to exercise them can ( and did ) interfere with that. But more than that, hearing contrary opinions of my choices encourages me to consider more than just my perspective.

I will at least consult with an attorney before I file but I need to be better educated as to the process so I, at least, have a basis for comparison of attorney quality.

Learned that the hard way, too.

Thank you all for your input. I, as ever, appreciate it.

LdiJ

I think that you are going to fail at that one.

You would have to prove that it is in your child's best interest. Unless you have something seriously compelling, its going to be difficult as heck to prove that making your child start over in middle or high school in a totally different district is better for her than moving on with her friends to middle or high school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">