• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child custody in Oklahoma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AngieVick

We live in Oklahoma. My stepdaughter wants to move in with her dad and I. She is 15 almost 16 yrs old, and the only child in the custody. He has paid child support on time for the past 3 yrs of his divorce. We think that the biological mom with throw a fit, and won't let her move in with us. The living conditions are unbearable, filty,nasty,drugs through the apt complex they live in. We live in two differnt towns and hour away. What is my husband chance on getting custody of his daugher? Will we have to take the c/p back to court to do this, or can she just move in with us?

Any information would be appreciated..
Thank you

L

lawrat

You should go through a family law attorney to amend the order.Don't just take the child. The daughter is old enough to testify as to her wishes, as well.

http://www.attorneypages.com

M

minerb98

You should go through a family law attorney to amend the order.Don't just take the child. The daughter is old enough to testify as to her wishes, as well.

Wrong, in most states age of a "child" choosing which parent to live in is around 11-15 years old

A

AngieVick

Thanks for your info, but we should amend the order because of child support also? Im sure she the custodial mom will contest to paying child support to us, but I guess we can just leave it up to the attorneys and judge.

LegalBeagle

minerb98 said:

Wrong, in most states age of a "child" choosing which parent to live in is around 11-15 years old
What do you mean wrong? What was wrong about lawrats answer? You think a 16 year old has less right to speak to a judge than a 15 year old?

Furthermore, age in the real world has little to do with it. A judge can still completely ignore the 'wishes' of a 15 year old child if he feels they are not mature enough to make the decision or understand the consequences. There was once a case in CA where a 6 year old was heard by a judge and his wishes were granted.

M

mary ray

I agree with LB and law rat. Chronological age is not always determinative. Maturity of minor, understanding, best interests etc. trump age.

A

AngieVick

Thanks for the response, also should we try and sit down with the biological mother and daughter and discuss her wishes? Or should we retain an attorney to amend the decree?
We want all involved to get along, and as of these past two years that I have been with her father, we all have gotten along pretty well.
She doesn't want to hurt her mom, but she loves her dad also and wants to live with us. I have an 11yr old girl from previous marriage, and a 1 yr old son between us.
Her mother only has her, and she wants to be with her brother and sister.

D

Dana Foster

Hi Angie,
My hubby is in somewhat same situation, his 14 year old son, is thinking about moving with us. My hubby has gotten a new job in a different town, 90 miles away. We think that he would get a better education ect. His mother does an okay job in raising him and their daughter but my hubby pays CS and carries them on his insurance and pays half of all medial and dental, him and his sister are picked up from school by us and they eat three or four nights a week at our house, plus we have them every other weekend. My hubby's ex still askes all the time for extra money that we don't have. So, if his son makes the decison we are going throught the court all the way. His ex can get either get mad or glad because we just want what is best for him. I wouldn't try to talk to your hubby's ex on your own because if angry words get spoken you hubby's daughter could change her for the fear of everyone fighting and her being the cause, and there goes her chances at a better life with you. So, good luck fellow OKIE!! My prayers are with you and your family.
Dana Foster

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">