• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child custody question for my sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unhappysis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hi this is my first time posting. I'm not really sure how to help my sister, so advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I recently came back into contact with my younger half sister(22). I haven't seen her since 4 years ago when she was 18 and became pregnant. At the time, her step mother had told me that she wanted my sister's child, to raise as her own. As a precaution, I sent my sister a letter telling her to move out with her child. I learned just recently that she never received the letter. Her step mother told her that her family was ashamed of her and wanted nothing to do with her. One day, the step mother locked my sister out of the house, and told her she wasn't welcome anymore. My poor sister was homeless, at 18, with no money and no one to turn to. She was taken in by a friend, and eventually worked her way back to normal life. She attempted to get her daughter back. The step mother threatened to call the cops saying that my sister would go to jail for child abandonment. Being uneducated in these things, my sister believed her and ran.

Now 4 years later, she has an income, an apartment and a new life. She wants her daughter back. What are her rights? Does she have a case? I just found my sister, and was horrified to learn of her story. I am going to help her as much as I can because I feel strongly that she was unjustly treated by these people, and they kidnapped her daughter. It's difficult, because even though my sister is 22 and working, she still isn't wealthy enough to afford a good strong lawyer. I wanted to know if this is worth pursuing for her.

Any advice? I know it's not your typical custody case... but in seeing my sister's tears, I know she wants her child back.

Thanks,
concerned for my sister...

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hi this is my first time posting. I'm not really sure how to help my sister, so advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I recently came back into contact with my younger half sister(22). I haven't seen her since 4 years ago when she was 18 and became pregnant. At the time, her step mother had told me that she wanted my sister's child, to raise as her own. As a precaution, I sent my sister a letter telling her to move out with her child. I learned just recently that she never received the letter. Her step mother told her that her family was ashamed of her and wanted nothing to do with her. One day, the step mother locked my sister out of the house, and told her she wasn't welcome anymore. My poor sister was homeless, at 18, with no money and no one to turn to. She was taken in by a friend, and eventually worked her way back to normal life. She attempted to get her daughter back. The step mother threatened to call the cops saying that my sister would go to jail for child abandonment. Being uneducated in these things, my sister believed her and ran.

Now 4 years later, she has an income, an apartment and a new life. She wants her daughter back. What are her rights? Does she have a case? I just found my sister, and was horrified to learn of her story. I am going to help her as much as I can because I feel strongly that she was unjustly treated by these people, and they kidnapped her daughter. It's difficult, because even though my sister is 22 and working, she still isn't wealthy enough to afford a good strong lawyer. I wanted to know if this is worth pursuing for her.

Any advice? I know it's not your typical custody case... but in seeing my sister's tears, I know she wants her child back.

Thanks,
concerned for my sister...

Your sister DID abandon her child.

Please have your sister sign up here because there are questions to which only she will have the answers.

unhappysis

Thanks for the response..

It doesn't matter though that she was kicked out of the house and they kept the baby? Since she didn't call the cops on them right then and there that counts as abandonment? Does that mean she does not have a case?

Proserpina

It doesn't matter though that she was kicked out of the house and they kept the baby? Since she didn't call the cops on them right then and there that counts as abandonment? Does that mean she does not have a case?

She needs to know if anything has been filed - it's entirely possible that stepmom (and your father? where is he?) was able to get custody in your sister's absence.

THIS is why we need your sister here. :cool:

mistoffolees

It doesn't matter though that she was kicked out of the house and they kept the baby? Since she didn't call the cops on them right then and there that counts as abandonment?
She's had FOUR FLIPPIN' YEARS to do something about it and hasn't made any effort to get her child back. How in the world would you NOT consider her to have abandoned the child?

Now, if you said that they kicked her out last week and she wants to know what to do to get her baby back, that would be a different story.

Does that mean she does not have a case?
No one said that. What was said is that we need to know some details that you probably won't have - so have your sister create her own account and sign up. Most of the volunteers here decline to help third parties since it's usually a waste of time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">