• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child custody/unwed parents/mother & father rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WAgrandma

What is the name of your state? Washington

My dtr is 18, her child is now 8wks old, she has moved back home with us due to baby's father inability to provide support (rent, etc), physical abuse, mental and emotional headgames using control and possession. The father (alledged) would not sign the paternity affidavidt @ the hospital, nor would he sign it during the 10 day time frame. He has history of drug/alcohol use, has not worked in over a year, my dtr supported him until 2weeks before her due date. He is being evicited from the apartment they shared, utilities being turned off, etc. He now is living with friends that he parties with. My dtr continues to fall in his line of bull, and runs to where ever he is when he demands to see the baby. My dtr is very indecisive, does not know what she wants, etc., and thinks that the way of living they were doing is acceptable for her child. Before she moved home, in 27 days baby has lost a little over a pound, slept 6-10 hours at a time, etc. Since her and baby moved home, baby has gained a little over 3# in 30 days, grew 1", smiles and happy. People tell my daughter the father has all the rights, and she can't do anything concerning the baby without his permission. I have looked all over, and have been uable to find laws/codes on unwed parents rights. It has been very hard this last 30 days watching my dtr slowly get back involved with the baby's dad. My husband & I have been married 19 years, have 2 other dtrs, 16 & 15. We feel that our dtr is going down a wrong path, that the "alledged" father is useless. He does not pay his bills, license suspended, drugs/alcohol, no job, violence, etc. We have provided 100% for our dtr and grand-dtr's suport since they moved home, the father has not even bought a rattle or bag of diapers. I don't know what to do...I am afraid that if she goes back to him, which right now is nowhere, our grand-dtr will suffer greatly physically and emotionally. While our dtr is doing the best she can caring for the baby, she makes irrational decisions, like going out to friends at 1am taking baby, staying out til all hours of the night with baby, taking baby to places where there is drugs/alcohol, having her out in the heat/sun all day running around with friends and the father, etc. I have tried very hard to be supportive rather than bossy. I have tried to limit my caring for baby here at the house, but kinda hard to leave her fuss when mom is ignoring her because she is playing on the computer or nintendo. We don't make our dtr pay rent, or buy for the baby, she receives state assistance dollars, and this month she has spent how she chose, my husband & I have provided all the needed and fun items. (Luckily I started buying months ago, though the diaper stock is depleting rapidly.) We are willing to continue supporting her & baby so that she can get back to school for GED and college so that she can learn a trade of some kind that will provide a future for her and baby. I am sure that with state assistance, a DNA test will eventually be done, birth certificate chg'd, etc. But in the meantime, who has what rights? I am afraid I will have to start researching my rights as a grandparent next. Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I hope I have made sense, as I have been up all night worrying, as dtr and baby went out at 1am.:confused:

D

DesperateMom21

Well as of right now I do believe that both parents have equal rights to the child,but from what I have read it doesn't appear that either parent is really responsible.Maybe you should look into getting custody of your gd.She needs someone to take responsibility,it doesn't seem that your daughter or her bf are either ready for that.Good Luck to you.

Whyte Noise

Your daughter's boyfriend, as of right now, has no legal rights whatsoever. The unwed father has no rights until paternity is established, and since he wouldn't sign the paternity affidavit, that would have given him some rights legally, he is basically just using that as a scare tactic against your daughter.

L

Lil Miss Smarty Panties

Do either of them know he will be held responsible for paying back those state assistance dollars??

W

WAgrandma

Lil Miss Smarty Panties said:
Do either of them know he will be held responsible for paying back those state assistance dollars??

Yes, the first papers have already come regarding child support, but he doen't work. How do you get blood out of a turnip? He quit the job he had the next day after she moved back here with us. That's why I figure eventually the DNA test will come about. And as terrible as it sounds, I would throw a party if the test showed he wasn't the father, but baby does look a little like him. Thanks for reading and your message.

W

WAgrandma

MissouriGal said:
Your daughter's boyfriend, as of right now, has no legal rights whatsoever. The unwed father has no rights until paternity is established, and since he wouldn't sign the paternity affidavit, that would have given him some rights legally, he is basically just using that as a scare tactic against your daughter.
That is what I (and others) have tried to tell her. After sitting up all night, I think I will seek legal advice if nothing else for myself. I will also start journaling (documenting) all this. Thanks for reading and for your reply.

Good Grandma

Continue doing what you're doing. Your daughter is lucky to have your unconditional love and sincere desire to look out for her WELL BEING.

I am a strong activist for Fathers Rights. "Good Fathers aka Daddies" Your daughters "Partner" does NOT qualify. Drugs, partying, etc.

You're right to document every daily detail. In the future this may prove useful.

My Conclusion:
Both your daughter and estranged are NOT focussed on the childs best interest. Baby losing weight, leaving in the middle of the night with baby. Extremely immature NOT STABLE emotionally or financially.

My Advice:
Since you have already, and are willing to provide stable care for this child emotionally and financially. Make it legal.
Your daughter has guardianship over this child. Persuade her to sign Legal Guardianship over to you. Retain an attorney to prepare and file the pertinent documents. You can explain to your daughter, this is NOT a permanent situation. You're NOT going to permanently raise this child, but for the time being it is the best idea. She leaves at 1am, the baby stays here, etc...

In the future:
Look past the immaturity of both of these parents. Guide your daughter on how to be a good parent for this baby. Allow the father to visit the child in YOUR HOME. This little baby doesn't need to have a sad life. Through your efforts this baby has a chance at a normal loving life.

Good Luck, Good Grandma.
RaddadThomas

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">