• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child to decide to live with other parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sher68Lyn

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My ex-husband and I have been divorced for 8 years. Our 2 daughters are now 13 and 18. My oldest is going to college, was valedictorian of her class, a dare role model, homecoming, etc. My 13 year old has always been pretty close with her dad. She feels that I am closer to our oldest and her dad is closer with her. My question is, after 8 years of divorce, she would like to now live with her father. We live in the same town, but he is single and his job requires quite a bit of travel out of him (approx. 4 days a week). He only has a brother in town, but he works 60 hours a week. Her only reason is that we argue a lot and she gets along better with her father. He has never taken her to or from a practice, taken her to or from a doctor appointment, and typically isn't available in the evenings until after 7:30 because he plays basketball and lifts weights (he's 44 years old). She is a straight A student and I just feel this is an emotional time in her life and he is putting ideas in her head.

She keeps telling people she will be living with her dad in a few weeks, but as of this point, I haven't heard or received anything. I have full custody, and he has every other weekend and 1 day a week....which he typically misses both because of his travels and takes her other times because I allow this.

Will a judge honestly grant him custody just based on her desires and for whatever reason his wishes?

snostar

No. If a judge aggrees to listen to her wishes they will be just one factor. The overall best interest of the child comes before the wishes of the child. Based on your post this not grounds for a custody modification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">