• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child neglect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

honeybunnymom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi, my son just turned 7 this month. He is visiting his father who lives in large apartment complex. His father lets him play outside on the court yard unsupervised. Complex is gated.
Is that a child neglect? Anything I can do about it? I did mention that to my ex that I think its dangerous.

Thank you.

Ladyback1

Hi, my son just turned 7 this month. He is visiting his father who lives in large apartment complex. His father lets him play outside on the court yard unsupervised. Complex is gated.
Is that a child neglect? Anything I can do about it? I did mention that to my ex that I think its dangerous.

Thank you.
Really?:confused:
Did you not play outside, unsupervised when you were that age?:eek:

Have you bothered to find out what constitutes neglect in California? I'm betting that playing outside doesn't constitute neglect.
It's a different parenting style. Kind of like if you allow kiddo 1/2 hr TV time before bed, and Dad allows more. Neither of you are wrong, just a different parenting style.

Is Dad letting kiddo play outside unattended the only thing that you can find to complain or worry about?

aardvarc

Not even in the same universe as neglect. All you can do about it is what you've done: tell ex you don't like it. But Lady is right, this is nothing more than a parenting difference. Just as if dad lets the child eat more candy than you do, or lets the child stay up later; or the opposite, makes child eat all their veggies and go to bed earlier. No court is going to have a problem with a 7 year old playing in the courtyard of a gated complex.

When I was 7 I was all over my neighborhood every chance I could get. I'd come home for lunch and just before dark.

Parent's baby their kids WAY too much these days. Some supervision is, of course needed but ya gotta give them some leeway.

dannyt

Thank you.
yeah there is one thing you can do-mind your own business. you dont get to dictate what happens on dad's time. as long as your son understand not to go off anywhere with someone he doesnt know without asking his dad first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">