• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child out of wedlock--what custody rights does biological father have

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bobbier

I live in Pennsylvania. I had a child out of wedlock. Biological father has had nothing to do with child since child was 4 months old. This man has a history of drug and alcohol abuse and has had history of physical abuse to others. My problem is -- child support would be of great help in my household. Should I seek child support? Is there such a thing as abandonment? What are this mans rights to custody of this child? If I seek child support am I opeaning a can of worms that I should leave closed?

[Edited by bobbier on 03-02-2001 at 07:51 PM]

L

LadyBlu

bobbier said:
I live in Pennsylvania. I had a child out of wedlock. Biological father has had nothing to do with child since child was 4 months old. This man has a history of drug and alcohol abuse and has had history of physical abuse to others. My problem is -- child support would be of great help in my household. Should I seek child support? Is there such a thing as abandonment? What are this mans rights to custody of this child? If I seek child support am I opeaning a can of worms that I should leave closed?

[Edited by bobbier on 03-02-2001 at 07:51 PM]
You can request child support, whether they actually get anything out of the father is a different story. The decision to pursue or not is up to you. You should know that visitation/child support are completely different issues and that if you do pursue support, he would be required to petition seperately for visitation privileges. At that time you could bring up any arrests for assaults or drugs that he has on his record and try for supervised visits if he is allowed visitation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">