• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child protective services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DTOM

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Long story, my granddaughter was taken from her mother last June, my son,who was the non-custodial parent has been fighting with CPS to gain custody ever since. We were given temp guardianship last August. CPS has had my son take psychological exam, parenting classes and he is now going to counseling with his daughter and his wife(granddaughters step mom) ever since beginning cps has made him have supervised visits, said because he had just won a visitiation hearing from friend of court when child was taken he had not seen her enough, but not for not trying. CPS first stated that if he had psychological (voluntary) he could see his daugher unsupervised, but then said he should take parenting classes( he has completed) still denied, went to friend of court for custody, cps worker lied and told them that my son had abused his daugher, not true, the step father who has same first name had abused all children in home, mother suffers from post partum depression and said she was too tired to do anything about it. friend of court denied custody based on cps workers false statement. cps wanted to terminate rights of all parents, there are three biological fathers and one unknown for five children of mother. then changed their mind since one father was able to gain custody of his child, requested only other three be terminated, bear in mind my son, did nothing to his child, he went to original disposition hearing thinking he would be able to take his daugher home with him. Now cps worker is thinking the step father will get custody of his two biological children,(he was the perpatrater) and mother she is not sure about, cps worker now denies my son any unsupervised and wants his rights terminated because he became unemployed and lost his home, lives with mother in law at this time, but has just started a new job, but cps worker expects him to be able to come up with deposit for new rental home in 30 days. we have asked that we be allowed to continue temp custody until our son can get back on his feet, cps worker says she would have to terminate sons rights,which means we would be barred from seeing him or our other grandchildren,according to her until we adopt our granddaughter. this makes no sense at all. our granddaughter who is 6 loves her dad and has even asked to go and live with him. son has court apppointed atty, do we have any way here in michigan to get the court and cps to allow our son to get custody of his child? This has been going on for nearly a year now. mother has just had her fifth child which was taken by cps at birth, and no visitiation rights for that child now. Can we request that family court allow us to take a guardianship until our son is settled in a new home. Going back with mother would not be good for child and friend of court already found her unfit for one of the children since this started and awarded custody to father,even though he still lives with his parents. has any one else experienced this kind of mess with michigan cps. the counselor my son and granddaughter is seeing thinks the caseworker has confused my son and the step father in some of the court papers because they have the same first name. any help would be appreciated, i am really nervous the next hearing end of july. granddaughter would be devasted if she had to go back with her mother, repeatedly states that if she can't live with daddy she wants to stay with us.

Shay-Pari'e

DTOM said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Long story, my granddaughter was taken from her mother last June, my son,who was the non-custodial parent has been fighting with CPS to gain custody ever since. We were given temp guardianship last August. CPS has had my son take psychological exam, parenting classes and he is now going to counseling with his daughter and his wife(granddaughters step mom) ever since beginning cps has made him have supervised visits, said because he had just won a visitiation hearing from friend of court when child was taken he had not seen her enough, but not for not trying. CPS first stated that if he had psychological (voluntary) he could see his daugher unsupervised, but then said he should take parenting classes( he has completed) still denied, went to friend of court for custody, cps worker lied and told them that my son had abused his daugher, not true, the step father who has same first name had abused all children in home, mother suffers from post partum depression and said she was too tired to do anything about it. friend of court denied custody based on cps workers false statement. cps wanted to terminate rights of all parents, there are three biological fathers and one unknown for five children of mother. then changed their mind since one father was able to gain custody of his child, requested only other three be terminated, bear in mind my son, did nothing to his child, he went to original disposition hearing thinking he would be able to take his daugher home with him. Now cps worker is thinking the step father will get custody of his two biological children,(he was the perpatrater) and mother she is not sure about, cps worker now denies my son any unsupervised and wants his rights terminated because he became unemployed and lost his home, lives with mother in law at this time, but has just started a new job, but cps worker expects him to be able to come up with deposit for new rental home in 30 days. we have asked that we be allowed to continue temp custody until our son can get back on his feet, cps worker says she would have to terminate sons rights,which means we would be barred from seeing him or our other grandchildren,according to her until we adopt our granddaughter. this makes no sense at all. our granddaughter who is 6 loves her dad and has even asked to go and live with him. son has court apppointed atty, do we have any way here in michigan to get the court and cps to allow our son to get custody of his child? This has been going on for nearly a year now. mother has just had her fifth child which was taken by cps at birth, and no visitiation rights for that child now. Can we request that family court allow us to take a guardianship until our son is settled in a new home. Going back with mother would not be good for child and friend of court already found her unfit for one of the children since this started and awarded custody to father,even though he still lives with his parents. has any one else experienced this kind of mess with michigan cps. the counselor my son and granddaughter is seeing thinks the caseworker has confused my son and the step father in some of the court papers because they have the same first name. any help would be appreciated, i am really nervous the next hearing end of july. granddaughter would be devasted if she had to go back with her mother, repeatedly states that if she can't live with daddy she wants to stay with us.
Emotions aside, this is your son's issue and he is not a fit parent. You can rant and rave all you like, but the system is protecting your grandchild. Sorry, but You have failed at getting custody.

BL

Your Son has an attorney. If the CPS and the Court are Identifying him as another person and the " perpetrator as him", then the Lawyer should bring it to the attention of the Judge with proof so it is clear who is who .

I mean they do have different LAST Names do not they ?

As for your Other Question about the Grandparents , maybe the could be awarded Temp. Guardianship of the Child ? But I think the Goal Of CPS Is to have a permanent stable home for the Child .

P

parentvscsb

undefined I am in Ohio and I have seen my local CPS do similar actions. Despite the other fedback you are recieving I have seen to many instances like this and it seems to me that your son needs high powered attorny or they will terminate his rights and then place the child with some one as a permanant home , in your case it may or may not be you. In my state i would be certine to say that the child would go to a foster home for adoption.

L

Lil Miss Smarty Panties

I know someone who had almost the same exact thing happen to him. The state took his child away from the mother but refused to give the child to him for no apparent reason. She was in foster care for almost 2 yrs. He had home evaluations, psych evals, you name it. They had no reason to keep his child from him but did so. They eventually tried to terminate his rights so they could adopt the child out (this is where CPS makes their money). When they tried to terminate his rights the court had to give him a lawyer. Long story short, he now his has child living with him. I think your son needs to set up a meeting with his lawyer and hammer out what the problem is. If the only reason they are trying to terminate his rights is his living with his mother in law then it shouldn't be difficult to block that. If they are in fact confusing the step father and your son, then the lawyer needs to correct that in court.

kat1963

Heck, I've seen CPS tell a biological father that he had to adopt his own child.
Listen, the only way you and your son are going to get anywhere is to start researching the law (case law, state law, federal law, your local CPS proceedure manual ). Basically become an expert. You will also need to learn how to manage the court appointed attorney. Your son needs to find employment so that he can prove that he can financiall provide for this child (don't expect the same from biomom). It sounds as if this case needs to get before a judge instead of allowing CPS to pull the strings. They can't make you do anything without a COURT ORDER.
Here is a good starting point:
http://reliableanswers.com/cps/handbook.asp
Good Luck!
KAT

P

parentvscsb

a good place for online infromation on your states revised code is anderson online documents. I hope this helps you! :eek:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">