• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support after death of parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sickwithsadness

My husband is obligated to pay child support for out of wedlock child he fathered while married to me. If he were to die before this child reached 18, would I be obligated to pay the remaining child support payments for this child even though the child is not related to me? Please advise. We live in California.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sickwithsadness said:
My husband is obligated to pay child support for out of wedlock child he fathered while married to me. If he were to die before this child reached 18, would I be obligated to pay the remaining child support payments for this child even though the child is not related to me? Please advise. We live in California.
My response:

Get your husband a life insurance policy, with the child being the beneficiary of at least $500,000.00. Otherwise, his Estate will be responsible for payment of the child support, which in turn, will impact you.

Court-ordered child support survives the death of the noncustodial parent and becomes a charge upon his or her estate. [Taylor v George (1949) 34 Cal 2d 552, 212 P2d 505] Similarly, there is no legal or policy reason to terminate a child support order when a custodial parent dies and the noncustodial parent does not assume custody. A child’s need for support does not terminate when the custodial parent dies, and persons who assume the financial burden of caring for a child following the death of the custodial parent should not be forced to expend their resources to enforce an existing support obligation. If the noncustodial parent believes that modification or termination of the support obligation is justified, he or she must resort to the court. [In re Marriage of Gregory (1991, 1st Dist) 230 Cal App 3d 112, 281 Cal Rptr 188]

A child support obligation cannot be offset by Social Security payments paid to a minor as a result of the death of the child support obligor. Fam C §4504 provides that Social Security Act or Railroad Retirement Act payments made to a child because of the retirement or disability of the obligor parent "shall be credited toward the amount ordered by the court to be paid for" child support "unless the payments made by the federal government were taken into consideration by the court in determining the amount of support." In enacting Fam C §4504, it was apparently the legislature’s intent to relieve the burden of a living retired or disabled parent, but death "does transport the noncustodial parent into another realm beyond the mitigating munificence of mortal legislators." Family Code §4504 therefore was clearly intended to apply only to retired or disabled, but not dead, child support obligors. [In re Marriage of Bertrand (1995, 3rd Dist.) 33 Cal.App.4th 437, 39 Cal.Rptr.2d 151] The reasoning of Bertrand combined with the reference in Fam C §4504 to the Railroad Retirement Act probably means that payments made to a child as a result of his or her parent’s death will not offset a child support obligation. The Bertrand court, however, offered hope to decedents’ estates that have a child support obligation by stating that a "trial court can nevertheless consider" the Social Security payments to the child when ruling on a motion to modify child support.

The fact that the deceased payor parent had placed all of his assets in a living trust did not prevent the court from enforcing a child support order against his estate. " . . . There is no difference in substance between an estate which may be properly charged with the child support obligation and property held by a living trust" (emphasis in the original). [In re Marriage of Perry (1997) 58 Cal.App.4th 1104, 1106, 68 Cal.Rptr.2d 445] Also, Social Security payments made to a child because of the death of the parent is not a credit against that parent’s child support obligation. [In re Marriage of Robinson (1998) 65 Cal.App.4th 93, 76 Cal.Rptr.2d 134] Family Code §4504 permits Social Security or Railroad Retirement payments to a child as a result of the retirement or disability (but not the death) of the parent to be credited against the parent’s monthly child support obligation.

IAAL

MySonsMom

Hey IAAL, here's a twist to the above question.....

What if the custodial parent dies? Obviously the child would go with the non custodial parent, but how would that be worked out? Would the non custodial parent be entitled to the deceased parents' estate? If so, how much?

I'm sure that something like this happens, but was curious to know how it would be handled.

Thanks!

MSM

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MySonsMom said:
Hey IAAL, here's a twist to the above question.....

What if the custodial parent dies? Obviously the child would go with the non custodial parent, but how would that be worked out? Would the non custodial parent be entitled to the deceased parents' estate? If so, how much?

I'm sure that something like this happens, but was curious to know how it would be handled.

Thanks!

MSM
My response:

There's no "twist" to this at all; that is, assuming the non-custodial parent accepts custody. In that case, the non-custodial parent simply takes custody and rears their child as they should have all along, and presumably uses the money they have otherwise been paying for their child's care; e.g., housing, food, clothing, etc., ad nauseum.

A child support order is "one-way" - - it's not a two-way street. The order is only there to compel a non-custodial parent to pay a certain amount to the custodial parent. When the custodial parent dies, the money is no longer paid to anyone, and the "new custodial parent" simply keeps the money for their use for the child.

If the non-custodial parent refuses custody, the child support order continues, but is now paid to a new party on behalf of the child; e.g., Foster care.

IAAL

N

not young

IAAL on Social Security subject

IAAL
in your posting on SS , you state that the husband's monthly retirement SS supplement can be used for the CS payment in Cal. ? i live in Fla. and have been paying $324 a mo. CS. for 1 child, but now i had to take my 65 retirement, which also gives $387 in child care SS supplement benefits each month. this is sent to my EX.. Her lawyer stated that i still have to pay the $324 CS payment, i am in the low income bracket now. hurts to try to make the added payment each month. can you tell me, if there is any info on my computer that would state this ruling ??
TIA

Frantic in Florida

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: IAAL on Social Security subject

not young said:
IAAL
in your posting on SS , you state that the husband's monthly retirement SS supplement can be used for the CS payment in Cal. ? i live in Fla. and have been paying $324 a mo. CS. for 1 child, but now i had to take my 65 retirement, which also gives $387 in child care SS supplement benefits each month. this is sent to my EX.. Her lawyer stated that i still have to pay the $324 CS payment, i am in the low income bracket now. hurts to try to make the added payment each month. can you tell me, if there is any info on my computer that would state this ruling ??
TIA

Frantic in Florida
My response:

Until you have the original Order modified to reduce your child support obligation based upon your change in circumstances, it will make no difference that you're on Social Security or not. You need to go back to court to have the Order modified based upon your current circumstances.

While I can't point you to Florida Appellate decisions, I can tell you that basic Child Support laws are virtually the same in any State. Until such time as you are able to obtain a modified Order, you'll be paying your current amount no matter what.

Get to a Family Law attorney as soon as possible. Most will give you one, free, initial consultation. In that consultation, the attorney should be able to tell you whether you're entitled to a modification.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

LegalBeagle

As IAAL stated, nothing can be done until you return to court for a modification..

The court will probably give you a dollar-for-dollar credit for the Social Security benefit received against the child support obligation that you have. A case to research in Florida would be:
Williams v. Williams, 560 So. 2d 308 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 1990)

S

sickwithsadness

So, as I understand this, according to California law and precadents, my H's estate would be obligated to pay the remaining CS payments to this child should he die prior to age 18. If there were a life insurance policy to cover the remaining payments of CS , would that be sufficient to protect the estate from the child receiving anything else from the estate?Why do you suggest a policy of 500,000?where did that figure come from?Since my H is not young, our premiums would be prohibitive and we cannot afford that much life insurance for this child.Could we get less insurance, perhaps covering one half of CS owed to child through the 18 years, hoping the father would live for next 10 years or so, and that be sufficient, assuming it covers what is owed in CS payments? Please advise and thanks.

S

sickwithsadness

more questions about child support/parent dying

I saw your response to the other person on if noncustodial parent dies and if step parent is obligated to pay child support upon death of parent. You said the court could make the spouse of noncustodial parent pay the remaining CS payments, even if all assets are in spouse's name.If there were a life insurance policy with child as beneficiary, would that remove the possibility that the custodial parent of the child not go after the estate for payment of child support? Or would they still go after the estate? please advise. I am sickwithsadness and I posted earlier and asked you questions, please reference to my earlier post. Inour case, I am not the steparent at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">