• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support arrearages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lissy

My son knows that his dad will be receiving my tax return for child support arrearages. He (my son) asked me if there's anything he can do against his dad (he lives with his father), if his father receives the money and doesn't spend any of it on him? If anyone has information regarding this, please contact me immediately. They live in Michigan. Thank you!

tigger22472

No there is nothing you can do. Child support doesn't solely get spent on the child, that is why it is not paid to the child. Child support goes to the CP for things like shelter, food, clothing. Although you can say you don't see the money being spent on the child but trust me in most cases that money IS spent on the child in some way or another. The fact that you owe arreage means that the CP has supported this child their part as well as yours also for some period of time. There are no laws that you can use against the CP in order to make sure money is spent the way you see fit.

I think that you may request the Child Support Recovery Unit to order the father to show you reciepts of the things that he spends the child support payments on.

S

Sagart Prechan

I can't rememebr the case number or the peoples names invovled, but a recent US Supreme court case decided that the CP doesn't have to prove where the money is or is not spent. as per usual the burden of proof of any wrong doing is now once again on the NCP.

L

Lissy

child support arrearages

Thanks to all that replied! Part of it I knew already, but I may still check into the support recovery unit, because this amount involves several hundred dollars and the guy is a con artist, not any better than a thief.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">