• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support-disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bill Clark

west virginia. my name is bill. i have been paying child support for 15 years, never missed,never late. i have become totally disabled but my x insists on my continuation to pay the full $285.00 per month.is there anything based on my current situation that i might do to decrease the amount of my payment? can i do this without incurring the expense of an attorney, possibly through the office of social security? thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Bill Clark said:
west virginia. my name is bill. i have been paying child support for 15 years, never missed,never late. i have become totally disabled but my x insists on my continuation to pay the full $285.00 per month.is there anything based on my current situation that i might do to decrease the amount of my payment? can i do this without incurring the expense of an attorney, possibly through the office of social security? thank you
My response:

Only a Family Law judge can adjust a current order of child support. A review of your medical records, and medical testimony will be required before any judge will make an adjustment.

You'll need to file a Petition for Child Support Adjustment, under your current case file number - - and, I imagine, you're going to need an attorney to help you with this process, unless you're real good with understanding "How-To" books on the subject. You can probably pick up a good book at your local Barnes & Noble Booksellers bookstore.

But, until this is accomplished, and you've received a new order, you had better make sure you pay the $285.00 per month, so you can stay away from "Contempt of Court" problems.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">