• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Ending?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TLA

What is the name of your state?
Pennsylvania

My husband's son has just turned 18 and he is a senior in high school. Is my husband required to pay child support through the end of his son's high school year?

This is just FYI -

There has been no contact between my husband and his son for 10 years. His son's mother receives an automatic check from our checking account every week.
There are no court orders requiring these child support payments. This was a verbal agreement between my husband and his ex-wife.

Thank you,
Tammy

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TLA said:
What is the name of your state?
Pennsylvania

My husband's son has just turned 18 and he is a senior in high school. Is my husband required to pay child support through the end of his son's high school year?

This is just FYI -

There has been no contact between my husband and his son for 10 years. His son's mother receives an automatic check from our checking account every week.
There are no court orders requiring these child support payments. This was a verbal agreement between my husband and his ex-wife.

Thank you,
Tammy

My response:

You said - -

"There are no court orders requiring these child support payments."

That may have been a dangerous decision for your husband - - the reason for which is the subject of another post.

However, in response to your current question, Pennsylvania law establishes that both parents are liable for the support of their children who are unemancipated and 18 years of age or younger. However, parents may be liable for the support of their children who are 18 years of age or older. For example, a support obligation may continue for a child who is 18 and still attending high school. When a child is emancipated, or over 18 years of age and no longer attending high school, one of the parents may file a "Petition for Modification of an Existing Support Order" to request that the child support order be stopped. Additionally, there may be other situations, such as the existence of physical or emotional challenges, when parents may be required to pay support for a child who is 18 years of age or older.

IAAL

TLA

IAAL,

I don't understand why not having a court order to demand the child support payments would be a problem for my husband. He has never missed paying his verbally agreed upon amount and we have the cancelled checks to prove each payment for the past 5 years (he was paying in cash before we got together). Can you please explain why we could be looking at a dangerous situation?

** Quote from IAAL:

"That may have been a dangerous decision for your husband - - the reason for which is the subject of another post. "

** End of quote from IAAL

Thanks.

VeronicaGia

Because she could claim he never paid and even after producing receipts, the court could view it as a gift an order him to pay again.

TLA

Well thank you for the info - I can only hope we don't have to deal with something like that.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">