• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sarah12730

Florida

Is it fraud for someone to accept and cash a child support check from the state if they do not have custody of the child?

We are involved in a rather complex custody issue (note: NOT a custody battle!) about my nephew.

His mother has recently been arrested and is in jail. The father of her younger son took the younger child, but would not take the older one, saying he is not the child's father. Whatever.

However, he and my Sister in law are still married (I think) and the check for my nephew's child support came to him (the father of the younger one) last month.

When my mother-in-law (who is in the process of getting legal custody) confronted him about it, he said that he had already spent the money, and didn't have it to give her.

My husband and I have guardianship of the child until the end of the summer, and my mother-in-law had agreed to send us the child support while he is with us. Actually, it had been her idea to do so, which I think is fair, since we are the ones who are shelling out money to pay for summer camp, clothes and food for him.

I would rather my mother-in-law had gotten this money and spent it on herself, instead of this other man, who was so cruel to my nephew, and wouldn't let these two boys be together!

What can we do about this?

Sarah

S

Sarah12730

Also, how much trouble is it going to be to go through the state to "get him" for taking this money? Will it be a lot more hassle than it is worth?

My mother-in-law believes that this month's (July) check should be arriving at her house any day now. What if it doesn't? How long can we possibly be made to wait for this money while it's being sent to this other address and essentially being stolen from us?

And, further, how is he cashing these checks? They are made out to my sister-in-law, I believe. Wouldn't he have to be forging her name in order to cash them?

Any help at all would be so greatly appreciated!

Sarah

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">