• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support hearing by DCS BUT divorce may be before CS hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PaulineZ

I have filed a motion and declaration for default against my soon to be ex-husband to end our divorce. He has not responded to the diovorce papers. The divorce court date is set. HOWEVER, he has decided to dispute the child support amount that the state of Washington has set forth based on his income. He is currently laid off and says the market value is hard to find a job right now. In my 8 years of knowing him, he has NEVER been unemployed. The department of child support will be setting a hearing date fairly soon. I was told that this date will most likely be AFTER our divorce date. If He does not show up to the divorce court date, the child support will become a court order. A court order supercedes any administrator order. I know this for a fact. What I am wondering is if he doesn't show up to this court hearing, and I get the court order of child support, it is all said and done then right? No need for an admin hearing right?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

If you are able to obtain your actual, written, court orders for the support prior to the DCS hearing, then all you have to show them are the orders. It's a done deal. And, on top of that, they will make a copy and enforce those orders for you. It was a real bad move on his part to ask DCS for a hearing. Now, with your court orders, they will stick to him like a fly on flypaper - - especially if he's late with his payments.

IAAL

P

PaulineZ

I was pretty sure that was the case. I needed reassurance :) He has not paid anything since DCS contacted him in the beg of November, and continues not to pay anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">