• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Payment Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisaolby

What is the name of your state? Idaho - but also may involve Oregon and/or Washington law

My husband was divorced in the State of Oregon in March 2000 and was ordered to pay $650.00 per month child support for one child. In April of 2002 he took a 40% cut in his pay and he and his ex-wife agreed among themselves to reduce the amount of his child support to $475.00 per month. He has been paying this amount ever since. His ex-wife and minor daughter are now living in the State of Washington. My question is, is he responsible by Oregon or Washington law for that arrearage amount (difference between $650 and $475) since they did not go back and formally modify the Decree to provide for the reduced child support payment?

Zephyr

lisaolby said:
What is the name of your state? Idaho - but also may involve Oregon and/or Washington law

My husband was divorced in the State of Oregon in March 2000 and was ordered to pay $650.00 per month child support for one child. In April of 2002 he took a 40% cut in his pay and he and his ex-wife agreed among themselves to reduce the amount of his child support to $475.00 per month. He has been paying this amount ever since. His ex-wife and minor daughter are now living in the State of Washington. My question is, is he responsible by Oregon or Washington law for that arrearage amount (difference between $650 and $475) since they did not go back and formally modify the Decree to provide for the reduced child support payment?

where ever the order is from, are they comming after him for it now?

VA_Mom

Yes. He is in arrears if the court order is still in effect. When he took a pay cut (I will assume it was involuntary), he should have petitioned the court for a modification.

Was he ordered to pay an enforcement agency or directly to the ex?

VeronicaGia

Zephyr said:
if the ex has not been on state aid, she is free to forgive the arrears...
But of course it still has to be court ordered, just like the reduction should have been court ordered. If she choses not to forgive them in court, he must pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">