• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

electra67

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I have a good friend who pays $800 a month on a 10 year old boy he's never seen. He and the g/f broke up and she went to another state (age 16) and gave birth before he knew it. DNA proved him the father. Right now, the grandmother has full custody in VA and gets full support form both parents.

My buddy also is now divorced with an 8 year old daughter. He had her shared custody and does not pay any support because he has her 1/2 of the time. Until now...

But since the issues with the first child while he was in the military, they based his support on not only what he made then but what he COULD MAKE... Even though he changed states and income levels, his pay was NOT reduced... When he tried, they increased it, stating it is what he COULD make!!! What the HELL???

He's been laid off 3 times since and his pay reduced but not his support level... His ex remarried, knows his situation and is waiting like a spider... She wants to get pregnant by her new beau and get a bigger house... She know the courts got it from his ex for his first child and now wants it for herself for a new house payment...

He just got laid off last week - again - and two days later, his ex files for full custody, knowing he can't afford an attorney to fight her... He was also told not to be even late on his child support despite the lay off... Here, they will jail you... WHAT THE HELL??? Why are Kentucky courts so biased against fathers!??? They aren't always the dead-beats! His is the 5th case of my close friends I know of and it makes me ill! I KNOW these guys! They are attentive, loving fathers who do the best the can... What can they do? Why do the courts take away from them more than they can live on?

*btw - I love this board! I have been fascinated by law issues since I was a kid, but never pursued it as a career...* I appreciate all the advice given here to adhered my curiosity.

Shay-Pari'e

Really?

Here was one of your last posts, and you are now asking questions?
Shay-Pari'e
Senior Member Join Date: Apr 2004

I feel so bad for you, I could croak... But I have friends in your similar situation (but half as much)...

It' might be possible you could put that total debt on a credit card then file bankruptcy - but not sure. It will mess up your credit for 10 years if you are willing to do that. At your age, maybe not... but... You need free advice at this point. If no 'free' - one hour - no consulate - no deal. You call CPS and get them there ASAP!

Don't trust anyone from now on, for any reason, okay? (best advice I ever got)

BTW - I am not an attorney but a wannnabe... Don't rely on what you hear here or from me or anybody else. This is a basis for 'concerned' questions. This board or its questions could probably never help you in a court of law.[

Do you even know what CPS is? You have ben reported.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">