• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support reduced?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kob125

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My question is. I was told that if I take a pay cut with a new job, my child support does not get reduced to my new income? Is this true? I will have to take a $4/hr pay cut to go to day shift. I work 3rd right now, but the courts said in order for me to have and excersize my 50/50 visitation I would have to find a job working durning the day. So I did find a job. But then people have told me that I can not reduce my child support right now when I take this job? Is it true that if you take a pay cut your child support can not be reduced?

(i wouldnt be complaining, but I have my kids 50/50 any how cause mom never takes them, the only difference right now is the court order and child support doesnt see that).

kob125 said:

My question is. I was told that if I take a pay cut with a new job, my child support does not get reduced to my new income? Is this true? I will have to take a $4/hr pay cut to go to day shift. I work 3rd right now, but the courts said in order for me to have and excersize my 50/50 visitation I would have to find a job working durning the day. So I did find a job. But then people have told me that I can not reduce my child support right now when I take this job? Is it true that if you take a pay cut your child support can not be reduced?

(i wouldnt be complaining, but I have my kids 50/50 any how cause mom never takes them, the only difference right now is the court order and child support doesnt see that).
Not sure if it works the same in Wisocsin, but in Illinois for one child you pay 20% of your income, so when you take a pay cut, file...go back to court with proof of pay cut and they should lower the child support.

casa

kob125 said:

Sometimes a judge is leery when a person reduces their income (suspecting it is to reduce support) However, in your case, you were advised by a judge to get a day job- which is what you've done. Many jobs have shift differentials with pay, so it makes sense your income would decrease.
It is very common for people who receive pay cuts to reduce their child support amount- and many states have guidelines which calculate support based on a % of your income.
Take the job, go to court to modify child support. I think there's a good chance you will get a modification, as $4 less per hour is quite a cut in pay.

casa said:
Sometimes a judge is leery when a person reduces their income (suspecting it is to reduce support) However, in your case, you were advised by a judge to get a day job- which is what you've done. Many jobs have shift differentials with pay, so it makes sense your income would decrease.
It is very common for people who receive pay cuts to reduce their child support amount- and many states have guidelines which calculate support based on a % of your income.
Take the job, go to court to modify child support. I think there's a good chance you will get a modification, as $4 less per hour is quite a cut in pay.
I definately agree. The business that my fiance worked for closed their doors. In finding a new job and starting back at the bottom he too had to take a pay cut. He filed, no attorney, went to court and the judge figured the 20% granted it and he was off on his way. In my opinion it is better for the mother to get the 20% then not get anything because the NCP can't afford what was originally ordered!

kob125

I was told that because I volunteered the pay cut that that is why I cant get a child support reduction. If I were fired or laid off then it would be a different story. I want to see my kids. I pay $800 in support for 3 children whose mother committed adultry, left me, decided to get help from the state. And because she is getting help from the state I was ordered to pay 29% child support to her. I work 3rd shift, come home pick up the kids and take them to school. Go home and sleep, pick the kids up from school bring them home for dinner and to do homework. Then i take them home to their moms. Then I have them every other weekend starting at 3pm Friday until 6pm Sunday. And because I dont have enough over nights I am ordered to pay the full 29%. I dont find this fair. I wouldnt be complaining but I am so broke that I almost cant afford to support my children when I have them!! I wont to be able to give them what they need when they are with me and I cant do that. I feel bad. Its just awful. So the judge said I can come back and fight for my 50/50 visitation, but I have to be working a day time job in order to exersize that visitation. Its just awful. And the only way I can get a day job is if I take a pay cut. I had to have a new job by February 2005, so I had to take the first available until someone replies to my resumes for a job I would like to have.

kob125 said:
I was told that because I volunteered the pay cut that that is why I cant get a child support reduction. If I were fired or laid off then it would be a different story. I want to see my kids. I pay $800 in support for 3 children whose mother committed adultry, left me, decided to get help from the state. And because she is getting help from the state I was ordered to pay 29% child support to her. I work 3rd shift, come home pick up the kids and take them to school. Go home and sleep, pick the kids up from school bring them home for dinner and to do homework. Then i take them home to their moms. Then I have them every other weekend starting at 3pm Friday until 6pm Sunday. And because I dont have enough over nights I am ordered to pay the full 29%. I dont find this fair. I wouldnt be complaining but I am so broke that I almost cant afford to support my children when I have them!! I wont to be able to give them what they need when they are with me and I cant do that. I feel bad. Its just awful. So the judge said I can come back and fight for my 50/50 visitation, but I have to be working a day time job in order to exersize that visitation. Its just awful. And the only way I can get a day job is if I take a pay cut. I had to have a new job by February 2005, so I had to take the first available until someone replies to my resumes for a job I would like to have.
I wouldn't stress it. Maybe you can seek some legal aide. I have never worked with them personally but they might be of some help. If you have 50/50 then why don't you file for joint custody? The mother can only work you if you let her!

kob125

I was told that I can not exersize my 50/50 until I get a day job. I found one but it doesnt start until January 17. But i can be awarded court ordered visitation until February because that is when we have court.

casa

kob125 said:
Is it your choice or did a judge tell you do it?
It's one or the other- Not both.

Go to court, explain you were advised to get a dayjob which is what you've done- Due to shift differentials, this has decreased your wages. Period.
Let the judge decide from there.

A judge will see you are doing this for your children, not just to avoid paying CS

casa

Chelle0511 said:
I wouldn't stress it. Maybe you can seek some legal aide. I have never worked with them personally but they might be of some help. If you have 50/50 then why don't you file for joint custody? The mother can only work you if you let her!
50/50 or joint custody does not mean one or the other parent will not pay child support. Most judges go by 'standard of living' meaning that the higher earning parent can still be ordered to pay support in order to maintain the closest version of the standard of living that the children were/are accustomed to.

kob125

It is both. I was told that if I want to excersize 50/50 visitation/placement that I would have to find a job durning the day. So it is my choice to find a day job if I want to excersize my 50/50 placement. That is what I chose to do. I understand I will still have to pay support. I offer that, I do not fight that. I want it all to be equal. That means paying half for things needed for both places, school, school expensises, etc. I understand that. It would be reduced big though and then I can support my children when they are with me!! I love my children dearly. And my ex said that she is going to fight me every step because she wants child support from me. She lives with her parents with no bills not even rent, food, electric, etc. nothing! And I pay her $800 and she spends it going out. She constantly brings the children to my house and they spend more than 50/50 with me! And I always have to find a sitter when child care is not open because I have to work. I feel bad that this is all happening, but it is her choice. I am trying to fight it. But right now she has temp. physical placement until court ordered is final and I can show that I can excersize my visitation.
its all confusing, and Im sorry if I am not wording this right. But I want my kids. I want them just as much as she is awarded. I love them so much. I never expected any of this to happen. 11 years of marriage down the drain.

casa

kob125 said:
It is both. I was told that if I want to excersize 50/50 visitation/placement that I would have to find a job durning the day. So it is my choice to find a day job if I want to excersize my 50/50 placement. That is what I chose to do. I understand I will still have to pay support. I offer that, I do not fight that. I want it all to be equal. That means paying half for things needed for both places, school, school expensises, etc. I understand that. It would be reduced big though and then I can support my children when they are with me!! I love my children dearly. And my ex said that she is going to fight me every step because she wants child support from me. She lives with her parents with no bills not even rent, food, electric, etc. nothing! And I pay her $800 and she spends it going out. She constantly brings the children to my house and they spend more than 50/50 with me! And I always have to find a sitter when child care is not open because I have to work. I feel bad that this is all happening, but it is her choice. I am trying to fight it. But right now she has temp. physical placement until court ordered is final and I can show that I can excersize my visitation.
its all confusing, and Im sorry if I am not wording this right. But I want my kids. I want them just as much as she is awarded. I love them so much. I never expected any of this to happen. 11 years of marriage down the drain.
It's admirable you want to spend as much time with your children as you can.
Go ahead and file in court for modification of visitation and support. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">