• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Reduction and payment question!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tater_tot

Look I'm posting for my brother-in-law, and he is court ordered by the state of Tennessee (even though he is a resident, now of North Carolina) to pay his ex-wife child support. He makes less money now than he was and they court ordered the child support be reduced effective November 1, 2001, but they didn't get the court order until the end of December, 2001 and they had already paid her the prior amount for November and December, 2001. Basically my question is can he legally deduct the extra amount from his January, 2002 payment (the amount he unknowingly overpaid for November and December)? Thanks and I would appreciate any help ASAP! Thanks.

Just a simple question would it be that hard to stomach 2 months of a little extra money to benefit the childs living conditons and cost???????? And just let it go since it is money already gone and start from the new CS amount when the new date takes in effect? How cheap can you be. Do you think all custodail parents are making a mint or living high on the hog because of support which usually doesn't even cover the actuall expenses occured for living and maybe the childs activities!!.

tater_tot

Naturalmom

It sounds like to me that your just another person who recieves child support and thinks the father should pay all expenses and keep you up so that you can do what you want and don't even pay the bills on top of that. Maybe you shouldn't think all noncustodial parents should be the only support in the childrens lives either. You may not be that kind of person, but people always want to talk about dead beat dads who don't pay suppolrt, what about those dead beat moms who get all kinds of money and then can't even pay their share or get their kids medicine or who can't pay their house payment and can't pay any other bills, but get child support, have a job and have a new husband? Don't judge the situation without knowing the situation.

H

hound dog

Well you can look at two ways!

1. He continues paying his support that is court ordered from January on and be ahead alittle bit so if he comes on hard times he can use that cushion for then. :D

2. With a court order he can pay whatever he owes even if that means less then he should if he paid more than he should for the other two months.;)

3. Or let be water under the bridge and carry own with your life!:p

Thanks hound dog you under stood the point I was making. As for me being one of those money hungry Cp well put it to you this way I go to work every day he chooses to not work and cash under the table tooooo. So that brings us to the next statement My portion is 60% of support his is 40% suppport . Oh and by the way if you want to count all those little assundries that come up with daily living that never really get count into support the CP usually takes care of that expense. I wish there where more NCP that instead of crabbing how much it costs them to support thier obligation that there where more who felt you know the child would benenfit from little extra . Maybe they could have those lessons. or those other shoes or go to a movie and have popcorn.......... Or maybe go to college .......

tammy8

Hey I think this was a great question! I am also in NC. My husband has been overpaying his ex wife for 2 yrs now. We always have the kids 14 days a month however bm always got her money and since the money is deducted out of his paycheck, there is no stopping the support. In Dec my husband finally got his day in court, after 3 yrs of trying to modify custody and child support. BTW bm makes $5 more a hour than my husband does. When all was said and done, bm OWED my husband $5 a month but my husband agreed to continue to pay bm $200/month. This was to begin on 1/1/02 but because the judge has not signed the final order (due to be signed this week) bm is still receiving the full amount. Yes we are ahead of the game, but because this money is deducted from his paycheck, she is just getting "freemoney".

Is is possible to get this money back, ever? I know that the money is for the kids but in Dec 01 we had the kids 26 days out of 31 so don't say a thing about the poor bm needing the money.

tammy8

And to Naturalmom, my husband and I would also like to do more with the kids as in feed them more than noodles and mac and cheese every night. If we are lucky we may be able to feed them some Spam and mac and cheese.

I would also love to see bm buy one pair of shoes, underwear, socks, or jeans for someone other than herself with the child support money:mad: :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">