• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support/relinquishing rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LizJ

What is the name of your state? Texas
I am writing for my husband. I have a 17 year old step-son who is not living with his custodial mother (she kicked him out) but she is still receiving his child support. He needs the money to live on but she will not relinquish it. She has gone so far as to tell him it is back child support and does not belong to him. My step-daughter is 14 and pregnant she is hopping back and forth between her aunt's (maternal) house and her baby's daddy's residence. Now what can we do so that the 17 year old can get his own money. And also should we still have to send the mom payments for children whom do not reside with her? And is my husband able to relinquish paternal rights on his daughter since she is an adult starting her own family? Thanks in advance for any advice...

Ozark_Sophist

If the child support is backpayment, it goes to the mother regardless.

Child support goes to the parent, not the child, so no, the 17-year-old is not entitled to personally collect child support from his dad. But dad can give him financial support directly, but while doing so, cannot stop paying child support (or arrears) to ex.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Texas
I am writing for my husband. I have a 17 year old step-son who is not living with his custodial mother (she kicked him out) but she is still receiving his child support. He needs the money to live on but she will not relinquish it. She has gone so far as to tell him it is back child support and does not belong to him. My step-daughter is 14 and pregnant she is hopping back and forth between her aunt's (maternal) house and her baby's daddy's residence. Now what can we do so that the 17 year old can get his own money. And also should we still have to send the mom payments for children whom do not reside with her? And is my husband able to relinquish paternal rights on his daughter since she is an adult starting her own family? Thanks in advance for any advice...
And why isn't dad filing for custody of his children?

CourtClerk

Ummm...why hasn't your husband gone to get his 14 year old baby (who is no where NEAR adulthood) who is pregnant, lacks stability and his hopping between homes? Why is he allowing it? Why are you allowing him to allow it? Sheesh.... I'm going to work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">