+ Reply to Thread
    LizJ is offline Junior Member

child support/relinquishing rights

What is the name of your state? Texas
    I am writing for my husband. I have a 17 year old step-son who is not living with his custodial mother (she kicked him out) but she is still receiving his child support. He needs the money to live on but she will not relinquish it. She has gone so far as to tell him it is back child support and does not belong to him. My step-daughter is 14 and pregnant she is hopping back and forth between her aunt's (maternal) house and her baby's daddy's residence. Now what can we do so that the 17 year old can get his own money. And also should we still have to send the mom payments for children whom do not reside with her? And is my husband able to relinquish paternal rights on his daughter since she is an adult starting her own family? Thanks in advance for any advice...
    Ozark_Sophist is offline Senior Member
    If the child support is backpayment, it goes to the mother regardless.

Child support goes to the parent, not the child, so no, the 17-year-old is not entitled to personally collect child support from his dad. But dad can give him financial support directly, but while doing so, cannot stop paying child support (or arrears) to ex.
    Fl_renter is offline Member

Thumbs up

Just wanted to 2nd was Ozark said.
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LizJ View Post
    What is the name of your state? Texas
    I am writing for my husband. I have a 17 year old step-son who is not living with his custodial mother (she kicked him out) but she is still receiving his child support. He needs the money to live on but she will not relinquish it. She has gone so far as to tell him it is back child support and does not belong to him. My step-daughter is 14 and pregnant she is hopping back and forth between her aunt's (maternal) house and her baby's daddy's residence. Now what can we do so that the 17 year old can get his own money. And also should we still have to send the mom payments for children whom do not reside with her? And is my husband able to relinquish paternal rights on his daughter since she is an adult starting her own family? Thanks in advance for any advice...
    And why isn't dad filing for custody of his children?
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    CourtClerk is offline Senior Member
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    Ummm...why hasn't your husband gone to get his 14 year old baby (who is no where NEAR adulthood) who is pregnant, lacks stability and his hopping between homes? Why is he allowing it? Why are you allowing him to allow it? Sheesh.... I'm going to work.