• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support/Signing over Rights to Stepfater

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

homestead29485

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AR

My exwife wants me to sign over rights to my son to his stepdad. I haven't been allowed to have contact with him in over 5 years. If I sign over rights does this absolve me of future child support? Does it absolve me of past obligations?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AR

My exwife wants me to sign over rights to my son to his stepdad. I haven't been allowed to have contact with him in over 5 years. If I sign over rights does this absolve me of future child support? Does it absolve me of past obligations?

If you're willing to allow stepDad to adopt, then all the three of you need to do is speak with a local attorney who will guide you through the process.

It generally does NOT absolve you of past due support unless Mom agrees (and even then, it might not wipe arrears - and it certainly won't wipe arrears owed to the State). It will however terminate future support obligations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">