• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support & Social Security disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tide200

What is the name of your state? Alabama

My ex owes about $7,000.00 in back child support and it is done through the Department of Human Resources . He is telling me that I should be receiving a check from Social Security Disability for approximately $6,000.00 and then I will receive $400.00 a month from now on. He is also telling me that DHR will not have anything else to do with my child support case and the check will be made out to me and my son and sent to my home address. My questions are, if it does not go through the courts then wont the arrears keep adding up? If this money is for a minor child shouldn’t the check be made out to just me?

Thanks in advance.

tigger22472

More then likely that check will say... "Pay to the order of XXXX FOR XXX" It sounds as if he's taken care of things through CSE and if anyone were to take him to court he would have ample proof that he's now paying the support.

tide200

Thanks Tiger. Thats what I am hoping for, but I am a little leery because he has to have sons original birth certificate and ss card. He has been really good about doing what he says he is going to do lately and I haven't bothered him about support so i hope he is telling me the truth. Thanks again.

tigger22472

yeah it should be a problem.. The only thing you will need to watch is that SS unlike CS is something they can come back and make you account for. You can use it for the same things... like utilities, housing and such but they can come back and ask you show where the money went to. It wouldn't be hard to do but can happen.

M

monnickasmommy

yeah keep ALL your reciepts for the SS check - My son gets SS and I have to have to keep all reciepts for 1 year of what I spend the money one- Don't matter if I take him to Wendys SAVE IT

tide200

Thanks again for those that replied. Social Security office called today. I will have to be the one to file and the check will be made out to me for the benefit of son. I will have to keep up with what I spend (which is no problem). As for child support, she told me that they do not get into back child support cases, I can file against his SS check that he will be receiving, but I wont do that. My case worker with DHR will not call me back to let me know what my options are about the child support case. Thanks for all your help. Tide

tigger22472

Well, the way I see it is that if he's 7,000 behind and you're going to get at least a 6,000$ back pay check you're only out 1,000$... and that's hardly worth fighting for as much trouble as CSE can be. Odds are you won't get anything more then the SS now for your son as your ex could file for a modification anyways.

tide200

After checking the child support hot line I discovered he is actually 10445.21 behind but, I dont want to go after him for anymore money. I will be happy with what I get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">