• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Tax Deduction...please help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

flaurnt

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Can someone help me with a tax deduction question? I pay my ex-girlfrind a support payment (registered with the state) according to our agreement from Philadelphia, PA. family court. Can I either claim my daughter as a dependant or deduct the support payment from my federal or state income tax?

Someone please help. Thank you

flaurnt.

annefan

Generally, you must have provided over half the person's total support including food, clothing, shelter, education, medical expenses and recreation in order to claim the child as your dependent. The custodial parent may use Form 8332 (IRS) or a similar statement (containing the information required by the form) to make the written declaration to release the exemption to the non-custodial parent. The non-custodial must attach this form to his tax return and take the deduction.

You cannot deduct support payments you made from federal or state income taxes.

VeronicaGia

IRS publication 501 discusses this in detail. Go to the IRS website, find the publication, read it, and take it from there as to whether or not you are entitled to claim the child as a dependent.

As annefan already said, child support is not a tax deduction for the obligor and is not income to the obligee. Neither of you will put the amount on your taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">