• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support/ Visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Centraljet

Unknown what rights I have

My divorce decree is from Texas and I live in suffolk county NY. I told my ex today that I was going to do a salary modification for child support and she flipped out. She told me that she will get a lawyer to sign my rights away as a parent, I'm not doing that. She blocked my number from me. How do I talk to my 10 yr old daughter. What is my right? What can I do to see her. Can NY enforce Texas Divorce decree.

CJane

My divorce decree is from Texas and I live in suffolk county NY. I told my ex today that I was going to do a salary modification for child support and she flipped out. She told me that she will get a lawyer to sign my rights away as a parent, I'm not doing that. She blocked my number from me. How do I talk to my 10 yr old daughter. What is my right? What can I do to see her. Can NY enforce Texas Divorce decree.
No one is going to make you sign away your parental rights. If you meet the guidelines for a modification of support, then support will be modified, no matter how angry it makes your ex.

What does your order say regarding telephone communication with your child?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So.... does SHE still live in TX? NY may not agree to modify your support if so.

ETA: Why did you move so far from your daughter? Why are you filing for a modification? Is your lower salary voluntary, pr the result of a lay-off, etc.?

LdiJ

What do you mean by "salary modification for child support"? Hopefully you mean that you are going to request a child support modification because your salary has been lowered...because the way that you wrote that it kind of sounds like you intend to reduce your salary so that you can reduce child support. I am sure that is not what you meant, but if I could see it being taken that way, perhaps your ex thought that was what you meant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">