• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support when one child lives with non-custodial parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wtrlvr

My ex feels that since one of our daughters lives with him and one with me (originally the custodial parent of both) that child support is a "wash". He states he is paying me for the one daughter out of the goodness of his heart, but he thinks he does not have to....?.....

C

crystal2

If he takes care of one child and you take care of one child, why would he have to pay support? Then shouldnt you pay support to him also?

LegalBeagle

If there is a current court order for CS, then that is what he pays. He has no choice. If he wants to petition the courts for a modification then a judge will review what each parent earns and generally will 'adjust' amounts so as to keep the living standards of both children the same.

For example.. one child each, visitation equal.. father earns 100k, mother earns 40k.. then the father *will* be paying CS. The age of the children are also taken into account.

G

Ginger

I live in Mass. and ex has 1 and I have 1, he makes 186,00 a year and I am a stay home mom and he pays 290 cs. for the 1 I have.
I hope this helps

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">