• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support while he's in jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

latimer

south carolina- my step daughter is having a hard time collecting child support, they have now put her husband in jail for non-support he is to serve 6 months. Her and the children were already struggling-how does she get paid her support both back child support and what is incurred while he is in jail??

S

scumcoast

She does'nt how can someone pay behind bars. The money will still be owed but will add to the back support he already owes. But he does need something down if he does not pay, what should they do to him? I assume they have been trying everything available before jail was ordered.

T

thompsoncorey

Here in IOWA we called the states attorney and got the ball rolling, we were told that as long as he's in jail the state will pay his support, try it, it did work for us good luck.

M

Mom in MI

I am in a similar situation....ex is also serving time, but he also gets on on work release 6 days a week. Would this situation be treated the same?

T

thompsoncorey

Now i'm not sure about that one b/c he is working, you just need an order to garnish his check, which we also got when he got a job and then was fired and collected unemployment. We went down to the child support dept. for that one and they have done evrything since including taking more until he gets caught up,taking his 401k,his tax return, but then he pulled a number on us and now works under the table and we see nothing. So we are going in, with out a lawyer, to file contempt and since he's on parole he will go back to jail and i will get my support again.

L

Linda Harbeck

well I am glad you got some replys. I posted the same weeks ago and no one answered. This is a major problem and someone somewhere has to read this and help us. Mine is in prison. They get clothes, food, bedding and essentials while they are in. And what do their kids get? NOTHING!!!!! I do believe the state they are in should help. One day I will find a lawyer who has guts enough to help us fight this. I look every day and write many many letters. One day we will get help. It is against the law not to pay child support. So put them in jail? I think mine likes it there. He don't have to work. There was a time my kids had to climb into dumpsters to get cans so they could cash them in for food. Pretty sad. And the state says oh well. We all need a gutsy lawyer who wants to make a new law and help all of us who are in this situation

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">