• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Visitation and Relocation on Custodial Parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cjpn

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My boyfriend has every other weekend visitation of his 3-yr old son. His mother has recently moved to another city with her boyfriend and his children and will not give us an address or a phone number where we can reach them. She has also decided that she is moving to OK in 2 weeks and doesn't now when or if she will return. What do we do to keep her from going so we can still see the child? Can she really move and expect child support even though we will not be able to see the child? Is there any way that we can prevent her from going or from taking the child?

tigger22472

First off your best bet is to do a search for this type of thing. We see 3-4 of these cases everyday wether it be the person who wants to move or the person in you b/f situation. Either way the advice is the same or law stated is the same.

Secondly and although I hate to start this discussion yet again... since there was a big battle just a few days ago... you need to remember when speaking of the child in terms of visitation, custody, support or even anything that you expect or want the cp to do that you keep it as .... he has visitation, he pays support... HE wants the address. This is HIS battle. As step parents(and that includes non married couples in my eyes) we love our sk just as they are our own but in the eyes of the law we are nothing to those children. Emotion brought into courtrooms(which is where he is going to have to go), taken to lawyers and judge don't help situations. Support your boyfriend but let this be his battle.

Again search or simply go into the child support/visitation forum and looking down.. you will see many many titles pertaining to moving. While there also seek out threads about step-parents right and how to avoid hurting an already damaging situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">