• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

children out of wedlock

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Ohio

When children are born out of wedlock who has custody over them?
Well, that would depend on if the mother survived the birth, if it was immaculate conceptions or if we're talking about human children....so, would you like to impart a few FACTS?

sweetheart

wedlock children

I'm the mother of 2 children in Ohio and just wanted to know if I have full custody of these children or if the father has some sort of custody over them as well.

BelizeBreeze

I'm the mother of 2 children in Ohio and just wanted to know if I have full custody of these children or if the father has some sort of custody over them as well.
at this time, there is no "LEGAL" custody of the children. They are in your custody as your children however, that also requires the question, "Why do you ask?"

GrowUp!

Listen...no one here likes to go fishing for factual information. What you provided for proper legal advice: zilch.

SO gives up relative facts, and those don't include "he doesnt like me", "he calls me names", "he won't return my calls" blah blah blah. Married, unmarried, etc.

And then please explain why YOU think that YOU deserve custody and dad deserves nothing. The "because I have a uterus" and other relative "excuses" are not valid. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

LdiJ

Actually I belive that in Ohio (and Ohiogal will correct me if I am wrong) that in an unwed situation the mother automatically has sole legal and physical custody until a court rules otherwise.

However....there obviously was a purpose to your question. Since you gave no facts or background, that answer may be worthless to you.

BelizeBreeze

Actually I belive that in Ohio (and Ohiogal will correct me if I am wrong) that in an unwed situation the mother automatically has sole legal and physical custody until a court rules otherwise.

However....there obviously was a purpose to your question. Since you gave no facts or background, that answer may be worthless to you.
sweetcheeks, there is no such thing as 'legal' custody without a 'legal' proceeding ;)

fairisfair

Ohio revised statutes online:
http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=PORC

section 3109.042:
"Custody rights of unmarried mother.
An unmarried female who gives birth to a child is the sole residential parent and legal custodian of the child until a court of competent jurisdiction issues an order designating another person as the residential parent and legal custodian. A court designating the residential parent and legal custodian of a child described in this section shall treat the mother and father as standing upon an equality when making the designation

GrowUp!

Ohio wiped out "custody" and "visitation" and refer to it is "primary residential parent" (or something along those lines) and "parenting" time.

I am going to assume that the OP was not married to the guy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">