• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

children's rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rhayes77

What is the name of your state? Iowa

My ex-husband has a long history of alcohol abuse, public intox, DUI (3 times) ect. He exercises visitation when it is convenient for
him. As the kids have gotten older, they are tired of the inconsistent behavior and drinking and do not want to go with him. The kids are 13 and 9. I've had the kids going to a counselor to help them. He slapped a contempt order against me and now the kids are being forced to go to a different couselor that he chooses. They are not happy, they liked the one they had. My attorney is saying go along until he drops the contempt action. Meanwhile my kids are worried that they will have to go over there, they don't like his drinking at all. I have thought about getting the kids an attorney but that is expensive. My attorney is trying to help me but telling me to go along with this new counselor but meanwhile my kids are the ones paying the price! What can I do? What can my kids do? How can they advocate for themselves? The ironic thing is I tried to get him to go to counseling for his alcohol abuse and now he is forcing me to go to a counselor I did not chose! Help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">