• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child's counseling records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meribeth

Does anyone know if there are any limitations to a parent obtaining a copy of their child's cousleing records?

BL

Yes , If the counselor decides it's not in the best interest to release those records , they will not .

As a matter of Fact since new privacy laws came out , they Can Not release them without the child's approval if the child is over a certain age , even to a Parent , without a court order .

Since you , didn't elaborate on the details , that's the best I can advise .

meribeth

The child is 8 and my attorney wants a copy of the records...i signed a release to him. I was the one who brought her and it was through my insurance.

Gracie3787

meribeth said:
The child is 8 and my attorney wants a copy of the records...i signed a release to him. I was the one who brought her and it was through my insurance.
If there is a court action pending, your ex can subpoena the records, but other than that there's no way he can have access to them. Florida is real strict about any type of mental health records, even an adult patient does NOT have automatic right and access to them.

weenor

Yes you are entitled to your childs medical records, unless there is a specific state law to the contrary with regard to a minor's psychological records.

meribeth

Its actually my attorney who wants them. My ex showed up at the office during one of her sessions and he was thrown out and the couselor had to get in between my ex and our child.

BL

Your Lawyer may have to get a subpoena ,or motion the court , and then the councilor might only send them to the Court for their records to review .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">