• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

childs right to choose a parent...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jbulluck

what age does a child have a right to choose the parent? My sone lives with me in Florida but the custody agreement was entered in North Carolina. There are 2 boys, one 10 and the other 15 years old. My wife sent them to me 9 months ago, but refused to alter the custody agreement. Now she is saying she wants them back but they dont want to go. What rights do the children have to choose?

H

hound dog

you really need to look at my post. We are in similar situatuions. If I was you I would go file for custody ASAP those children have been living with you for 9mths a judge will take that in consideration. But do not wait like I did so hurry up and do it.......

G

Grandma B

She probably misses the child support. Your sons will not be allowed to decide where they want to live, but a judge will take their desire to stay with you under consideration when making his/her decision.

It would be a good idea to file for custody ASAP and have all your documentation ready, i.e., any calls, letters, etc. which occurred around the time she sent them to you, and letters from your sons expressing their wishes in the matter. The judge may want to talk to them personally, but better prepared than not.

Since you accepted physical custody without going through the courts, you might owe her suupport for the time you have had them. A request for modification of custody is a must any time a NCP takes on physical custody. Good luck to you and your sons.

J

jbulluck

she is still getting the child support...

since the papers have not been signed (custody, legally, has not been transferred), she still gets the money.

but can someone direct me to a place I can find out the legal age at which a child can choose a parent?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">