• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

childs rights vs biological fathers rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

christy1685

hello, i was wondering if i could get some much needed advice please.

For arguement sake say the father fathers 5 kids, but never gets married to the mother (cheats on her with someone else and stays with the other woman), say also that this father had a drug addicted past (lets say at present its not known whether he's still a user or not) up to a point he was granted supervised visitation for a couple of hours for one day a week. now lets say up until recently the mother and kids were involved in a car accident and the vehicle is now off the road so the previous arrangement of supervised access cant be carried out at present, now due to these events and constantly changing unsympathetic judges the father has recently been awarded unsupervised access for those couple of hours one day a week, as in he can pick them up and take them anywhere without needing the mothers car or supervision as the car is off the road

even without anything drug related being brought up can the mother who has full guardianship deny access based on the fact that the children that are old enough want nothing to do with the father and are afraid of his presence and the children that arent old enough to fully understand whats going on are just plain afraid of a "quote - stranger they dont like and dont want to know". the very idea of being alone with this stranger terrifies them all, to the point they are on edge for most of the week and cry before and sometimes after access occurs, fyi their ages are 3, 7, twin 9 year olds and 11

what rights do the children have and mother who has full legal guardianship, can access be denied?

the reason i ask, this the father has caused a lot of trouble for the family im trying to keep this as anonymous as possible, to really understand the gravity of whats really going on in this family there is a much older sister that has a different father who at just pre teen age claimed to have been abused by this father in question but was to afraid to ever say anything at the time, it was kept quiet for a very long time, when she was old enough she tried to get something done and was met with verbal threats like burning out her car behind their house that was carried out and nearly resulted in the entire house going up in flames, luckily only the back of the house was damaged with windows blown out etc and no one injured physically anyway. this is one of the reasons the children dont sleep very well at night. it could never have been proved who did it but an empty container which had some bit of petrol left in it was found at the scene. needless to say she stopped pursing what she thought would have been justice, and is now terrified to take action again. needless to say the law for some reason is not working out on this families side

disregarding this can the children themselves deny him access to them?

any advice is greatly appreciated thank you

Last edited:

Proserpina

(Sorry Blue, I know OP hasn't bothered to state where she is...but I just have to.....)

OP, the children do NOT get to decide whether or not they want to see Dad if Dad has court-ordered visitation. And they are not old enough to even have a measured opinion; I'll go out on a limb and say that a good portion of their opinions are so heavily influenced by what MOM is saying/telling/showing them, that it actually sounds like Dad doesn't have a chance to begin with. MOM should be facilitating the relationship between Dad and the kids. Promoting and nurturing that relationship. That's her duty as a parent.

So, I must ask. Truly, are ALL of those judges unsympathetic?

If Mom denies access she can be held in contempt. If she does it often enough she can lose custody - to Dad.

christy1685

(Sorry Blue, I know OP hasn't bothered to state where she is...but I just have to.....)

OP, the children do NOT get to decide whether or not they want to see Dad if Dad has court-ordered visitation. And they are not old enough to even have a measured opinion; I'll go out on a limb and say that a good portion of their opinions are so heavily influenced by what MOM is saying/telling/showing them, that it actually sounds like Dad doesn't have a chance to begin with. MOM should be facilitating the relationship between Dad and the kids. Promoting and nurturing that relationship. That's her duty as a parent.

So, I must ask. Truly, are ALL of those judges unsympathetic?

If Mom denies access she can be held in contempt. If she does it often enough she can lose custody - to Dad.
im in europe, and discussions about this never happen around the children, with the exception of them being told by their mother they have to go see him. they dont need to influenced by anything their mother tells them, they are heavily against him seeing them, thanks for the response, i only wanted to know what right the kids have, thanks.

this is completely beside the point but i knew of him before i even knew this family, and this guy is not a positive influence on anyone. here there's some very small neighbourhoods with a small enough police presence, even the guards around here are wary of dealing with certain things regarding him. As they are with some other problematic people, i thought that would be a nicer way of saying scum, all they do is caution him when problems arise

Isis1

im in europe, and discussions about this never happen around the children, with the exception of them being told by their mother they have to go see him. they dont need to influenced by anything their mother tells them, they are heavily against him seeing them, thanks for the response, i only wanted to know what right the kids have, thanks.

this is completely beside the point but i knew of him before i even knew this family, and this guy is not a positive influence on anyone. here there's some very small neighbourhoods with a small enough police presence, even the guards around here are wary of dealing with certain things regarding him. As they are with some other problematic people, i thought that would be a nicer way of saying scum

still US Law Only. sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">