• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming child as a military dependant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sexy_mom

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? hawaii

my son's birth certificate does not have his father's name written on it. his father just joined the army and wants to claim my son as a dependant. can he do that? he is asking for a copy of my son's birth certificate and social security card.

usmcfamily

Has he signed an "acknowledgement of paternity" ? (this can happen and he would still not be on the bc if it it was issued prior to the acknowledgement and the bc was never modified)
He absolutely can claim him as a dependant but what are his reasons for wanting to do so? Is it to provide for your child or to qualify for the "w/dependants" benefits of the military.......I would investigate those motives before cooperating to fully...
Does he currently pay support?
Is it court ordered or just a personal agreement if he does?
If it is court ordered you will need to submit the order to DFAS (military pay system) to have the support garnished and sent directly to you -- be glad he has enlisted -- at least you now have guaranteed support for at least 3 years .........:)

S

sexy_mom

what is an "acknowledgement of paternity?" and what happens after he signs it? does that mean i have to cooperate with him to claim my son as a dependant? i dont want to do that because he barely tries to contact us and he has never seen our child.

usmcfamily

So he is only seeking to claim the child in order to gain benefit for himself and NOT the child? That I would not cooperate with at all.........
An "acknowledgement of paternity" is the paper an unmarried man signs proclaiming himself the father of a child born out of wedlock......(not needed in cases of marriage because children are ASSUMED to be the bio-children of the married couple).....this is the alternative to DNA testing to establish someone as the parent of a child.
Does he pay support? (regardless of his effort to contact or see the child he is obligated to provide financial support for his child)

R

Roscleo

I agree with usmc don't give all of the information to him. Go to CSE and tell them you need to file for child support. They will help you with the issues regarding paternity. I do have a question though. Does your child have health insurance provided by you? If not they you may want to check into having your son's father enroll him in DEERS he will then have medical coverage. On the flip side though if you let him enroll him in DEERS then he becomes a dependant of his and he will get more money a month. I don't know what Hawaii's child support guidelines are but I believe they are a little higher than almost anywhere else. So even if he does get the dependant pay for you son he may end up paying most or all to you anyway. If you have any more questions about the military pay and benefits just let me know.

Good luck

S

sexy_mom

Roscleo,
Thank you for the advice and info. Yes my son does have medical and dental insureance from me.
Thank you to usmc also for the advice. It helped clear things that I had no idea about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">