• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claiming on income tax w/court order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artyart

What is the name of your state?New Jersey/ I have joint legal custody my daugther is with me half of the week and with her mother the other half we alternate weekends.I pay child support and she is on my medical benefits.The court order states we are to altenate claiming our child each year on our income tax however she claimed her two years in a row.Is that decided by the IRS or the judge who issued the order? Can anything be done?

Zephyr

the only thing that can be done is to bring her back into court for contempt, or if you guys get along at all she may be willing to let you take 2 years in order to avoid that nasty mess. the judge would almost certainly let you make up that year, or order her to pay you the amount of money you would have gotten had youclaimed the child. it is unlikely that she would get into major serious trouble but, for future hearings, she probably does not want to have the judge thinking that she is someone who will disregard his orders

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">