• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Financial Aid & Child Support Payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Anonymous57

What is the name of your state? FL

I am attending college and my husband pays child support for a child he had with an old girlfriend who he never married. The child support payment would be used as an expense and figure into our household expenses if he was paying it because of divorce or separation but he is not.

Does anyone know why it makes a difference if the child support is being paid because of divorce or separation or just being paid?

I am desperately trying to figure out how to get more money to pay for my college expenses since we have a family of four living off only my husband's 25,000 a year income and my maxed out student loans.

If no one knows here I think I will post this in another forum.

Thanks.

VeronicaGia

I'm not sure if I understand your question.

Child support is child support; whether or not he was married it still has to be paid, and is still an expense.

Do you work? If not, why not?

A

Anonymous57

Sorry about those multiple posts. I wasn't aware of how that worked.

I got my facts a little confused. On the financial Aid forms, child support if because of divorce or separation can be counted as an exemption (on taxes) which would not contribute to our income total. Why is it counted toward our income total when it is paid not because of divorce or separation?

I am not working because I have the two kids a 5 yrs old and a 9 mth old to care for who I do not want to put into daycare unless I have to. If I were to work right now I would make just enough to pay for daycare and then it would be pointless because I would lose time with my kids and study time. I have minimally put them in daycare to attend class for one day a week for four hours. I've tried the working before and it didn't work out very well. Money was just as tight as before working.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">