• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused by Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

corpmomof2

I live in Indiana.

My question should be simple, I hope. In Indiana, we have Parenting Time Guidelines (PTG) that are "guidance" for visitation. In one section it reads:

"2. Adjustments to Schedule / “Make Up” Time. Whenever there is a need to adjust the established parenting schedules because of events outside the normal family routine, the parent who becomes aware of the circumstance shall notify the other parent as far in advance as possible. Both parents shall then attempt to reach a mutually acceptable adjustment to the parenting schedule. If an adjustment results in one parent losing scheduled parenting time with the child, “make- up” time should be exercised as soon as possible. If the parents cannot agree on “make- up” time, the parent who lost the time shall select the “make-up” time within one month of the missed time.

Commentary
There will be occasions when scheduled parenting times may need to be adjusted because of illnesses or special family events such as weddings, funerals, reunions, and the like. Each parent should accommodate the other in making the adjustment so that the child may attend the family event. After considering the child’s best interests, the parent who
lost parenting time may decide to forego the “make-up” time."

In the section related to Holiday schedules, it states:

"If the non-custodial parent misses a regular weekend because it is the custodial parent’s holiday, the regular alternating parenting time schedule will resume following the holiday. If the noncustodial parent receives two consecutive weekends because of a holiday, the regular alternating
parenting time schedule will resume the following weekend with the custodial parent."

I had a very contentious divorce, but was awarded Joint Custody with me having physical custody of my two children 11 & 12 years old. My ex-husband claims that when a holiday causes two weekends to be consecutive, that "Make-up" time is applicable. His current visitation schedule is every other weekend and Monday nights from 5-8pm.

My reading of this guidance is that make up time only applies for unscheduled parenting time for special functions and not holidays. Can you help provide a complete understanding of this rule?

LdiJ

I live in Indiana.

My question should be simple, I hope. In Indiana, we have Parenting Time Guidelines (PTG) that are "guidance" for visitation. In one section it reads:

"2. Adjustments to Schedule / “Make Up” Time. Whenever there is a need to adjust the established parenting schedules because of events outside the normal family routine, the parent who becomes aware of the circumstance shall notify the other parent as far in advance as possible. Both parents shall then attempt to reach a mutually acceptable adjustment to the parenting schedule. If an adjustment results in one parent losing scheduled parenting time with the child, “make- up” time should be exercised as soon as possible. If the parents cannot agree on “make- up” time, the parent who lost the time shall select the “make-up” time within one month of the missed time.

Commentary
There will be occasions when scheduled parenting times may need to be adjusted because of illnesses or special family events such as weddings, funerals, reunions, and the like. Each parent should accommodate the other in making the adjustment so that the child may attend the family event. After considering the child’s best interests, the parent who
lost parenting time may decide to forego the “make-up” time."

In the section related to Holiday schedules, it states:

"If the non-custodial parent misses a regular weekend because it is the custodial parent’s holiday, the regular alternating parenting time schedule will resume following the holiday. If the noncustodial parent receives two consecutive weekends because of a holiday, the regular alternating
parenting time schedule will resume the following weekend with the custodial parent."

I had a very contentious divorce, but was awarded Joint Custody with me having physical custody of my two children 11 & 12 years old. My ex-husband claims that when a holiday causes two weekends to be consecutive, that "Make-up" time is applicable. His current visitation schedule is every other weekend and Monday nights from 5-8pm.

My reading of this guidance is that make up time only applies for unscheduled parenting time for special functions and not holidays. Can you help provide a complete understanding of this rule?
Your ex is incorrect. However you may not be understanding things correctly either.

Under the ITPG, if a holiday causes one parent to get two weekends in a row, the the next weekend automatically belongs to the other parent, and the the every other rotation starts from there.

So...example...

You get the weekend before Thanksgiving on the normal rotation. You get the next weekend because Thanksgiving is your holiday. That means that the other parent gets the weekend after Thanksgiving and the rotation starts over from there...so your next weekend is the weekend after that.

Its one of the bad things about the ITPG because it causes confusion.

The makeup provision applies only to situations that are unrelated to holidays. It applies to situations where a weekend is missed due to an important family event.

On top of that, Indiana judges are really annoyed if parents end up in court because they don't understand the guidelines. The parent who got it wrong tends to get slammed.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your ex is incorrect. However you may not be understanding things correctly either.

Under the ITPG, if a holiday causes one parent to get two weekends in a row, the the next weekend automatically belongs to the other parent, and the the every other rotation starts from there.

So...example...

You get the weekend before Thanksgiving on the normal rotation. You get the next weekend because Thanksgiving is your holiday. That means that the other parent gets the weekend after Thanksgiving and the rotation starts over from there...so your next weekend is the weekend after that.

Its one of the bad things about the ITPG because it causes confusion.

The makeup provision applies only to situations that are unrelated to holidays. It applies to situations where a weekend is missed due to an important family event.

On top of that, Indiana judges are really annoyed if parents end up in court because they don't understand the guidelines. The parent who got it wrong tends to get slammed.
I agree with how LD explained it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">