• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consent for medical treatment & joint custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stickyrice

What is the name of your state? Ohio

If parents have a shared parenting agreement which states that a child will continue to see the same doctor they've been seeing since birth but one parent decides to not follow this and starts taking child to a different doctor without informing the other parent, is that contempt? I only found this out recently when my child told me they had not been seeing Dr. A, but were seeing a different doctor, Dr. B. when their father took them in for care (sore throats, etc.)

Can the parent who continues to follow the agreement obtain the medical records from the non-authorized doctor if the parent finds out by accident who that doctor is? I'm concerned because now I don't know if my child has been given immunizations at both doctors, in effect, getting double medical treatments. I always informed the other parent when appointments were scheduled with Dr. A. (the reason, the outcome), but the other parent has never even admitted to taking our child to Dr. B.

I know about Dr. B because our child told me that Parent B picked our child up from school early and took our child to Dr. B under the pretense of a check-up (this was during Parent B's parenting time). When they arrived, Parent B told our child that instead, the visit was for a drug test since our child's grades had been declining.

Dr. B then proceeded to stand and watch our child urinate into a testing cup, our child was mortified as child is a young teen. The test was negative. Parent B has never informed me that Parent B intended on taking child to be tested, that Parent B actually TOOK child to be tested or what the results of the test was. Child told me when child returned from Parent B's home.

Can Dr. B be held liable for administering this drug test without the consent of both parents when child's parents are divorced and share custody? What exactly is Parent B in violation of?

For the record, child was diagnosed with a learning disability by Dr. A three years ago, but Parent B refused any treatment in connection with this disability, telling Parent A (me) if I pursued treatment, he would sue me for contempt. This is why child's grades are dropping as the school work is getting more difficult and child is getting horribly frustrated.

fairisfair

No the doctor is NOT liable for performing the drug test.

Perhaps Parent A needs to find a better way to communicate with Parent B and Child C's grades may improve :rolleyes:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Ohio

If parents have a shared parenting agreement which states that a child will continue to see the same doctor they've been seeing since birth but one parent decides to not follow this and starts taking child to a different doctor without informing the other parent, is that contempt? I only found this out recently when my child told me they had not been seeing Dr. A, but were seeing a different doctor, Dr. B. when their father took them in for care (sore throats, etc.)

Can the parent who continues to follow the agreement obtain the medical records from the non-authorized doctor if the parent finds out by accident who that doctor is? I'm concerned because now I don't know if my child has been given immunizations at both doctors, in effect, getting double medical treatments. I always informed the other parent when appointments were scheduled with Dr. A. (the reason, the outcome), but the other parent has never even admitted to taking our child to Dr. B.

I know about Dr. B because our child told me that Parent B picked our child up from school early and took our child to Dr. B under the pretense of a check-up (this was during Parent B's parenting time). When they arrived, Parent B told our child that instead, the visit was for a drug test since our child's grades had been declining.

Dr. B then proceeded to stand and watch our child urinate into a testing cup, our child was mortified as child is a young teen. The test was negative. Parent B has never informed me that Parent B intended on taking child to be tested, that Parent B actually TOOK child to be tested or what the results of the test was. Child told me when child returned from Parent B's home.

Can Dr. B be held liable for administering this drug test without the consent of both parents when child's parents are divorced and share custody? What exactly is Parent B in violation of?

For the record, child was diagnosed with a learning disability by Dr. A three years ago, but Parent B refused any treatment in connection with this disability, telling Parent A (me) if I pursued treatment, he would sue me for contempt. This is why child's grades are dropping as the school work is getting more difficult and child is getting horribly frustrated.
I think that parent A needs to take the issue of treatment for the learning disability to court.

I also think that parent A needs to be communicating with parent B regarding the fact that parent B is violating the agreement by taking the child to another doctor.

stickyrice

No the doctor is NOT liable for performing the drug test.

Perhaps Parent A needs to find a better way to communicate with Parent B and Child C's grades may improve :rolleyes:
Ahhh, I do agree! I am Parent A and I do make certain that Parent B knows all of everything that is happening with Child C :) Parent B is fully aware of child's learning disability, Parent B chooses to both discredit the diagnosis as well as tell me that Parent B will get a second opinion (which has never been done, after repeated requests by Parent A to get this resolved). Soon Child will be an adult and will be able to make their own decisions, but with Parent B constantly berating Child for poor grades. Instead of considering the learning disability (which could be very easily accomodated), Parent B assumes the worse about child, with the only "evidence" being falling grades (no drug paraphernalia, no abrupt change in behavior, etc. NONE of the warning signs that parents are always warned to be on the lookout for). Child is actually pretty well in all but 2 subjects (taught by the same first-year teacher with a teaching style that is completely opposite of how child learns).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">