• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt of court , filed by the court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hatecelica

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Coming up is a contempt of court hearing against my daughters mother. It was filed by the court for guardian ad litem fees and court fees. She has not payed any money towards what she owes.
Its the same case as my custody case and i received a notice of the hearing in the mail. If i take a day off work and go would i be able to go into the hearing? Just wondering what my options are if i go ?
I know its hear say but one of her friends told me my daughters mom was scared she might get put in jail for not paying, especially since i have custody of our daughter !

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Coming up is a contempt of court hearing against my daughters mother. It was filed by the court for guardian ad litem fees and court fees. She has not payed any money towards what she owes.
Its the same case as my custody case and i received a notice of the hearing in the mail. If i take a day off work and go would i be able to go into the hearing? Just wondering what my options are if i go ?
I know its hear say but one of her friends told me my daughters mom was scared she might get put in jail for not paying, especially since i have custody of our daughter !
YOU are a party to the case. YOU can attend the hearing. I could wager a guess as to what county this is and can state that they may give her a chance to purge and if she does NOT purge then she is heading to jail. On one of my GAL cases, the parents were each sentenced to 4 days in jail which will happen IF they do not pay my fees in the next few months (the purge period). I will GLADLY work for that county again due to the fact that I know I will get paid or the individuals will end up having consequences. It is how the counties keep GALs.

hatecelica

In the custody order it stated we each had 30 days to pay the gal fees and court fees. It has been 5 months since the 30 days expired. I wonder how much more time they will give her especially when she hasn't payed a dime toward it.

LdiJ

In the custody order it stated we each had 30 days to pay the gal fees and court fees. It has been 5 months since the 30 days expired. I wonder how much more time they will give her especially when she hasn't payed a dime toward it.
Is she actually able to make the payment? There might be some people who simply cannot, even in the face of going to jail.

hatecelica

Can she pay it ? I guess that depends on how you look at it. She quit her job right after I got custody. Hasn't payed anything towards court and owes back child support. Hasn't payed any child support either. I know child support is another forum but it shows she is lazy and dosent want to work.

hatecelica

I don't want mom to go to jail. Just want her to take care of her responsibilities.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

I don't want mom to go to jail. Just want her to take care of her responsibilities.
That's not your problem. You are entitled to collect anything that's owed to you and GAL is entitled to collect what's owed to him/her, as well. You put in your claim. It's then up to ex to decide whether to pay it or go to jail.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Can she pay it ? I guess that depends on how you look at it. She quit her job right after I got custody. Hasn't payed anything towards court and owes back child support. Hasn't payed any child support either. I know child support is another forum but it shows she is lazy and dosent want to work.
She could have made payment arrangements with the court. The fact that she quit her job will NOT sit well with the court.

LdiJ

She could have made payment arrangements with the court. The fact that she quit her job will NOT sit well with the court.
Yep that one is going to hurt her. If she was a struggling mother with other children who simply had no resources to come up with the money she might have garnered some sympathy, but not in this case.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Is there any chance they would make me pay her half of the gal fees.
Nope -- SHE was court ordered to pay them -- unless you have engaged in fraud of some sort or something similar. She could have arranged a payment plan or something of that nature.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">