• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt of custody order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
I am a father who has primary physical custody of my 4 kids. Mother gets visitation every other weekend ,and every other week when they are on summer vacation. Mother had came down and took my 1 daughter who was 16 at the time without my knowledge and not on her visit. This was back in june of this year. Mother stated she was going to do everything in her power to keep her. Daughter now does not want to come back. Daughter just turned 17 over the summer. She has has not started school, so the school with drew her. I have filed a contempt against her. This is the second time she has done this with my daughter. Last time she was found in contempt and also had to pay my lawyer fees which she never did. So as of now we are waiting to see the conciliator. Is there anything else I can do so this doesn't keep happening ? Also just today she took my son who just turned 18 without my knowing, he is mentally retarded and is not capable of making decisions on his own. I have full legal custody of him also. She just wants him for his money. With him being 18 now is there anything I can do? Thank you

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
I am a father who has primary physical custody of my 4 kids. Mother gets visitation every other weekend ,and every other week when they are on summer vacation. Mother had came down and took my 1 daughter who was 16 at the time without my knowledge and not on her visit. This was back in june of this year. Mother stated she was going to do everything in her power to keep her. Daughter now does not want to come back. Daughter just turned 17 over the summer. She has has not started school, so the school with drew her. I have filed a contempt against her. This is the second time she has done this with my daughter. Last time she was found in contempt and also had to pay my lawyer fees which she never did. So as of now we are waiting to see the conciliator. Is there anything else I can do so this doesn't keep happening ? Also just today she took my son who just turned 18 without my knowing, he is mentally retarded and is not capable of making decisions on his own. I have full legal custody of him also. She just wants him for his money. With him being 18 now is there anything I can do? Thank you
Is he considered to be legally incompetent?

Look. Your daughter is 17. If you manage to get this into court before Christmas - which you likely won't - you're going to risk harming your relationship with her ... probably for much longer than you think. And given her age, it's entirely possible that the court will just allow her to continue staying with her Mom if that's what she wants to do.

Is it "right" that Mom is playing games? Nope. But in this situation you need to look more at the long term outcome and less at how pissed you are at Mom.

(And Mom is probably going to throw the same accusation right back at you - that you don't care about your son, you just want him for "money")

[email protected]

Is he considered to be legally incompetent?

Look. Your daughter is 17. If you manage to get this into court before Christmas - which you likely won't - you're going to risk harming your relationship with her ... probably for much longer than you think. And given her age, it's entirely possible that the court will just allow her to continue staying with her Mom if that's what she wants to do.

Is it "right" that Mom is playing games? Nope. But in this situation you need to look more at the long term outcome and less at how pissed you are at Mom.

(And Mom is probably going to throw the same accusation right back at you - that you don't care about your son, you just want him for "money")
Yes he is considered legally incompetent, yes she has already stated that but I have had him for 8 years now and didn't even get his money until over a year after he was with me. She collected it and spent it. About my daughter I'm concerned about her finishing school . She has spoke to me about going to college and she had a promising basketball career ahead of her but that no longer ssems to be in her future. Her mother does not make her go to school and has no intentions to do so . I know from past experience with her and my 2 older sons never finished while under her care. Just concerned about my daughters future.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
At 17, your daughter should not need to be "made" to go to school. Yes, she needs to be enrolled by a parent, but she could push that issue with Mom, if her educational future is important to her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">