• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Ordered Medical Coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

I have been court ordered to carry my daughter on my insurance plan since 2006. Father's wife added our daughter to medical coverage without my consent in 2006 throwing off the Primary Carrier. We worked out some kinks, and medical coverage is fine now.

Now, father's wife just recently got a new job. I just learned from my daughter's dentist office that father's wife faxed over coverage for my daughter. SHe is court ordered to have NO contact with my daughter's school, doctors, or anyone else when it concerns my daughter's upbringing or health. I believe that is parental interference? I'm not sure of the term. Anyway, I have excellent coverage and do not need a secondary insurance carrier since they would only be paying around 5 bucks per visit and they are out of network.

Here is my question. Since step-mom added my daughter without consulting me, don't I have the right to call her insurance provider and cancel? This is actually costing more money because she has a deductible, and I do not. SHe is saying that since my daughter is already added, that she is unable to take her off of the plan. The dentist office informed me that they will not have to bill both insurance carriers since they know about each other now.

Please advise.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

I have been court ordered to carry my daughter on my insurance plan since 2006. Father's wife added our daughter to medical coverage without my consent in 2006 throwing off the Primary Carrier. We worked out some kinks, and medical coverage is fine now.

Now, father's wife just recently got a new job. I just learned from my daughter's dentist office that father's wife faxed over coverage for my daughter. SHe is court ordered to have NO contact with my daughter's school, doctors, or anyone else when it concerns my daughter's upbringing or health. I believe that is parental interference? I'm not sure of the term. Anyway, I have excellent coverage and do not need a secondary insurance carrier since they would only be paying around 5 bucks per visit and they are out of network.

Here is my question. Since step-mom added my daughter without consulting me, don't I have the right to call her insurance provider and cancel? This is actually costing more money because she has a deductible, and I do not. SHe is saying that since my daughter is already added, that she is unable to take her off of the plan. The dentist office informed me that they will not have to bill both insurance carriers since they know about each other now.
Please advise.
What is the problem with having a secondary insurance? Yours should be primary. Yours pays first and what yours doesn't stepmom's would. You should not be cancelling stepmom's insurance. Giving insurance information is NOT by itself parental interference.

My coverage covers 90% of all services and I do not have a deductible. She has a 100 deductible and is out of network. So the 10 bucks that I may owe and split with dad, now turns into 110 bucks because of the deductible. Also her coverage only covers at 60% which would only be around 2 to 4 bucks. So why should I split 100 when we normally split 30 during the year? I mean, she goes once for cleaning, and once to fix the problems if any, so I only see me shelling out more money for less coverage.

The medical coverage is fine, and my daughter is covered at 100%, but I have an issue with the dental plan, and my daughter being added without step-mom consulting with me. Also, as for the interference, she is ordered not to contact my daughter's school, or doctors. SHe has done so numerous times, and that is what I meant by interference. Dad is to contact them.

Thanks again.

Humusluvr

My coverage covers 90% of all services and I do not have a deductible. She has a 100 deductible and is out of network. So the 10 bucks that I may owe and split with dad, now turns into 110 bucks because of the deductible. Also her coverage only covers at 60% which would only be around 2 to 4 bucks. So why should I split 100 when we normally split 30 during the year? I mean, she goes once for cleaning, and once to fix the problems if any, so I only see me shelling out more money for less coverage.

The medical coverage is fine, and my daughter is covered at 100%, but I have an issue with the dental plan, and my daughter being added without step-mom consulting with me. Also, as for the interference, she is ordered not to contact my daughter's school, or doctors. SHe has done so numerous times, and that is what I meant by interference. Dad is to contact them.

Thanks again.
Is the daughter's dental office aware that SM is to have no contact with them? I think that WOULD be parental Interference.

And, SM could have your daughter removed by showing the insurance company the court order that shows she is to have no contact.

I have set up passwords with all of the doctors. They are aware now. I have contacted my insurance provider and they said that they will pay out as normal, and will not be filing with secondary carrier since they have the order in hand. The dentist also does not think that secondary coverage is to my advantage in this situation, and they will not be billing out to secondary carrier.

I just don't think paying 110 bucks for secondary to pay anywhere between 2 and 4 bucks is worth having the coverage.

Thanks Humus!

Humusluvr

I have set up passwords with all of the doctors. They are aware now. I have contacted my insurance provider and they said that they will pay out as normal, and will not be filing with secondary carrier since they have the order in hand. The dentist also does not think that secondary coverage is to my advantage in this situation, and they will not be billing out to secondary carrier.

I just don't think paying 110 bucks for secondary to pay anywhere between 2 and 4 bucks is worth having the coverage.

Thanks Humus!
I agree with you, but on the other hand, having two insurances is always better than one IMO, because if you lose your coverage for any reason, the secondary is there as a CYA. And, you wouldn't have to pay the $110, that would be SM's part, right?

I can see it as part of her "game," where she wants to put the insurance on there to try to keep control. I don't blame you for setting up password and the such, if this has truly been a prob for you in the past.

Per the court order, dad and I have to split deductibles, co-pays, prescriptions, etc...., which means, we both need to split $110 instead of
$30.

I told dad that if he is willing to pay the entire deductible, that I would be fine with it. My daughter won't be seeing the dentist until next year again, so why not wait until next year, when I am aware of the amount of the deductible and I can be prepared. This just kind of got sprung on me at the last minute, and I think it was very dis-respectful to me and embarrassing because I was not prepared to pay $110 and had to re-schedule the appt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">