• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CP not giving child prescription meds.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbaldwin

What is the name of your state? TX
As some of you may know from my earlier posts, my husband's son has had an excessive amount of absences and tardies at school. We obtained copies of the letters written by the CP, and most of the reasons stated are "due to problems with the child's asthma". CP refuses to have the child take preventitive meds. prescribed by his Dr., so he only takes them while in our care. Not one time this year has he had to be late, or absent from school while in our care due to his asthma. A few of the notes state that the CP was sick and that's why the child is late for school, and she didn't hear the alarm because of her "loaded schedule". The one time there is actually a Dr.'s excuse was the one time I took him to the Dr. for being ill. ALL the rest of the absences and tardies ( There are a total of 10 tardiesand 13 absences in first period), are "due to his asthma". Here is my question: If his asthma is SO bad while he is in her care, wouldn't you think she would be giving him the meds. prescribed by his Dr. that WE buy and send home with the child to help him? Also, she refuses to pay her half of the uninsured expenses. Is there anything that can be done about her not giving the child his meds.? At one point, she had a restriction on his prescriptions that SHE was the only one allowed to pick up his meds. This lasted for almost 2 years, so EVERY time we needed an inhaler, or any prescription meds., we would have to go through HELL to get them. He has very few problems with his asthma while with us, and all I can contribute that to is the fact that we give him his 2 prescribed meds. 2 times a day when he is here. Can anything be done? Thanks so much!

VeronicaGia

Well, a doctors note stating that the child must take his meds in order to control his asthma, or he could be seriously hurt or even die, might help.

Also, send all receipts certified mail, return receipt requested showing proof of payment, proof of services and request for reimbursement per the court order. If she still doesn't pay, it's contempt time.

sbaldwin

Also, send all receipts certified mail, return receipt requested showing proof of payment, proof of services and request for reimbursement per the court order. If she still doesn't pay, it's contempt time.
We've been doing this, and we also send it by regular mail with a note at the top that it was sent both regular AND certified. She NEVER accepts the certified letters, but we NEVER get the regular ones back. She's a weird control freak, and when my husband first started sending things certified, she told him "they were both adults, and things did not have to be handled through certified mail"...what ever! I hear from people to "pick our battles wisely", and I'm just not sure if this one would be considered as such. There are SOOO many other issues that could be added though. I took the child to the Dr. myself last time he was sick (not with his asthma, but it was aggravated by his illness), and when the Dr. asked him if he was still taking his meds., the child lied for his mother and said "yes". I corrected him and told the Dr. that he had not taken the meds. in several months... he told my SS that he NEEDS to be taking these meds. to control the problem. It's just so frustrating because we feel that she doesn't give him the meds. just to spite us.

VeronicaGia

Then it's contempt of court time to get her to pay her portion of the medical expenses. Also, you will want to ask for a modification of custody based on the best interests of the childs health and well being. The doctor needs to help you out here, writing a letter stating that he/she has specifically told the CP that the meds are necessary for the childs survival. Asthma is life threatening, and should be taken as such.

kidoday

Depending on if the Dr. wants to back you up that the medication needs to be taken because the Asthma is life threatening and CP won't administer the medications you may want look into filing medical neglect charges against her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">